Chapter 4

Drakor approached Clare in a casual manner and said, “So, the heir to the thrown, that’s cool. Never would have guessed it. Oh, by the way, thanks for telling me.” Clare looked at the ground and replied to Drakor and said, “Look its not like it was important. I- 

“Not important? How is that not important?” Ask Drakor in a furious voice. His eyes grew wider and darker. He had his fists clinched and was staring straight at Clare.

“Clare, why didn’t you tell me?”  Clare, still looking at the ground, said, “Because I was ashamed.” The air between them began to calm. Drakor dropped his shoulders and looked at Clare with softer eyes.

“Why would you be ashamed?” Asked Drakor. 

Suddenly, they heard a howling off in the distance. Aurora ran towards Clare and held onto her. Clare grabbed her and held her close. Drakor drew his sword and said, “We need to leave now.” They were still packing everything up when they saw her. Marko stood and squinted his eyes. A dark mysterious figure was approaching the camp site with a pack of wolves. Marko opened his mouth to say something, but was stunned with fear. He finally managed to screamed out, “That-that’s her! That’s the woman that came into the castle! That’s the one that killed the king!” Drakor pointed his sword at the woman approaching the camp and Clare told Aurora to hide in the tents. As the woman grew closer, they could make out her figure. She was wearing black robes with a hood, and carrying a staff.

The wolves at her side began to growl and snarl. A black mist traveled with them as they walked towards the camp. They came closer and closer until, the wolves branched out and evaporated into a black fog that surrounded the camp. The dark woman finally stopped in front of the others and said, “And where is the one known as Clare?” Clare looked at the woman and drew her blade. The woman searched the faces of them all and said, “I presume the only female standing here.” Clare watched her every movements as she circled them like a vulture. The woman finally began to approach Clare.

“Any closer and I will cut you down where you stand” Said Clare with a serious voice. Her eyes locked onto the woman and she readied herself to strike. 

“Now, now. There is no need to get carried away. I’m just here to ask you something. That’s all.” Said the mysterious woman in a casual voice. Clare studied her face closely, but it was mostly covered by her hood.

“Don’t listen to her! She is a mage! She can control your mind!” Shouted Marko. The woman looked at Marko and said, “I remember you. Thanks for that stunning performance by the way.” She winked at him and his eyes began to fill with more shame. 

“What is it you want to ask of me? Ask me, and be on your way.” Said Clare. The woman looked back at Clare and asked her, “All right then. So tell me Clare, how do you intend to stop the dark army? I heard you looking for someone in my city and-”

“It is not your city!” Shouted the man from before that was with Aurora. Recognizing his voice, Aurora jumped out from the tent and ran to him shouting his name.

“Sam! You came back!” He knelt down beside her and said, “I told you I don’t want anything else to happen to you, and I meant it.” Her eyes filled with tears as he stood back up. He drew his sword and pointed at the mage. 

“And who do we have here?” Asked the mage. She looked at him and smiled, and then said, “My, my, aren’t you a brave hero.” Sam ignored her words and stayed in a striking pose. He didn’t take his eyes off of her.

“Clare, I will ask you again, how is it that you, a mere mortal, intend to defeat the dark Lord’s army?” Clare looked at her with a puzzled looked. Suddenly she was stricken with panic.