Chapter 9 ~ Starting off on the Wrong Foot

The first day of classes started today, and I was tired. Tired of the drama already? The boys? The teachers? Homework? No. I was just tired. I didn't get any sleep at all last night. I was having nightmares again.

I was in Defense Against the Dark Arts, sitting beside Hermione, when the bitch came in.

"Good morning, children." We all turned around and saw her bright, annoying pink outfit and smile as she walked to the front of the room. "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O.W.L. More commonly known as O.W.L.s," she said cheerfully.

"No shit," I muttered.

"Study hard, and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She started passing out textbooks with the flick of her wand. "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know that from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

Hermione raised her hand and spoke up. "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"Using spells! Ha-ha! Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"I'm pretty sure that's the point of this class," I pointed out.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," she informed me.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free," Harry added.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class," Umbridge said. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" I asked.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort," Harry spoke up.

That was the first time I heard him say that name in class before. I was always careful about it. People started whispering and whatnot. Hermione looked at him with wide eyes.

Umbridge was silent for a moment. Then she spoke up. "Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again."

"Damn right," I muttered.

"This. Is. A. Lie."

"It's not a lie! Max and I saw him! We fought him! Tell her, Max!"

"Detention, Mr. Potter!"

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?"

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident."

"Sounds like your birth," I mumbled under my breath.

"Detention for you, Miss Potter!" she yelled at me.

"Cedric's death was not a tragic accident! It was murder! Voldemort killed him! You must know that--"

"Enough! Enough. See me later, Mr. Potter, Miss Potter. In my office," she said, cutting me off.

We were quiet for the rest of the class. I sat there in my seat, thinking about Cedric again. I still hadn't seen him ever since that night, and the thought of him didn't come up until Harry mentioned him. It made me upset again.

Sometimes, I just wished Harry would keep his mouth shut.

*******

That evening, Harry and I headed for Umbridge's office for detention. We were quiet for almost the whole way there until Harry spoke up. "Max?"