Chapter 20 ~ The Trap

By the time we got there, it was nightfall. The Ministry of Magic was empty. We got to the elevator and went down to the same floor our hearing was on. The entire floor was cold as we took one step closer towards the door.

"This is it," he said. When we got to the door, Harry looked at me. "You open it."

"Wimp." I opened the door and saw nothing but shelves of silver balls lined up next to each other. Some were shining and some were dull. "Damn. This room is huge."

We lit our wands so we could see better.

"Tell me about it," Harry commented. Then we turned around and saw the door went away and the hallway was endless. Great. "Now what?"

Ninety-seven. That was where we needed to go. Without thinking, I started running down the hallway. I started counting until I got to ninety-seven. There was nothing here. Not Sirius, not Voldemort. Nothing.

"He should be here," I said.

"Harry, Max," Neville was looking at something. "This has your names on it."

Harry and I went up to it. He slowly grabbed it and got a closer look at it. Voices. They were everywhere.

"The ones with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches. And the Dark Lord shall mark them as his equals, but they shall have power the Dark Lord knows not. For neither can live while the other survives."

"What the hell does that mean?" I asked.

"It means, Potter, that you should give that to me," a voice came from behind us. It was a Death Eater.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry asked.

"You know, you really should learn to tell the difference between dreams and reality." The Death Eater revealed his true face. Lucius Malfoy. "You saw only what the Dark Lord wanted you to see. You two need to hand me the prophecy."

"If you do anything to us, we'll break it," I stepped in.

A cackling came from behind Lucius. "She knows how to play! Itty, bitty, baby. Potterette." The woman was ugly and had messy, black hair.

"Bellatrix Lestrange," Neville said.

"Neville Longbottom, is it? How's Mum and Dad?"

"Better, now they're about to be avenged!"

The two pointed their wands at each other.

Lucius intervened. "Now let's everybody just calm down, shall we? All we want is that prophecy."

"Why did Voldemort need us to come and get this?" I asked.

Bellatrix gasped. "You dare speak his name?" she whispered. "YOU FILTHY HALF-BLOOD!"

"It's all right. She's just a curious girl, aren't you? Prophecies can only be retrieved by those about whom they are made. Which is lucky for you two, really." Lucius walked over to me and Harry. "Haven't you always wondered what was the reason for the connection between you two and the Dark Lord? Why was he unable to kill you two when you were just infants? Don't you want to know the secret of your scars?" He brushed the hair that was covering my face. "All the answers are there. In your hand." Death Eaters were now surrounding us. "All you have to do is give it to me. I can show you two everything."

We stayed silent. Then Harry finally spoke up. "We've waited fourteen years."

Lucius gave us a sympathetic look. So fake. "I know."

"I guess we can wait a little longer," I finished. "Now!"

"Stupefy!" All of us shouted in every direction. Then we ran.