Dipping your toes in Taipei, May 2010-September 2016

I think Taipei is a good city to live in.

It's a good starter city, you know. As in, starter home. The one you first move to when you move out of your parents' house.

It's where you convince your parents that you are independent enough to be on your own. It's where you dip your toes, get to know a new culture, a new language.

And then you brace yourself for the splash.

The splash that's in another continent.

I have friends who also moved to Taipei from Manila, but most of them are gone now.

No, they didn't move back home. If ever they did, it was only for a little while.

One of them moved to Sydney, Australia to pursue his PhD. But most of his Facebook and blog posts indicates that he spends more time attending movie premieres than writing his thesis.

Another is in Vancouver, Canada, on an extended Tourist Visa. He is supposed to be looking for a job, but in the mean time, he is taking online classes and actively maintaining his new food blog.

Another took out a 2 million Taiwan dollar bank loan to take another degree in Nursing in a city that has the word sunshine in it, in Australia. She says its will be worth it. And I have faith in her resilience and determination.

Another bought a condo in Tokyo using her trust fund. She never did that in Taipei because Taipei is just for fun, she never meant to stay here for good.

I have been dipping my toes for a while now, getting ready for my big splash.