Presenting Our Best Selves in Birmingham, October 2016

My roommate and I have very significantly different experiences with strangers in the UK.

Everyone had been charming and nice to me, even though I have stupid questions, such as I do not understand the coins system, or I don't know which train to get on.

While my roommate, who is Bolivian (she looks Latina) and is the sweetest person ever, had based on her stories, absolutely horrible experiences. One blonde even shouted "No", before she can even ask her question.

I honestly don't know why. Is it because we look different? I look absolutely non threatening. Although, she doesn't look like she can hurt a fly either.

I smile all the time though when I am asking questions. And I always portray my best self. I am not a nice person, but I can pretend to be.

We were taking a train and weren't sure which one to take, so I just asked a random stranger and the stranger was very helpful. And it baffles her, she just made a face, she doesn't want to ask anybody anymore, in case they scream at her again.

I don't know, I let everything just slide. Even if someone insults me or aren't nice to me, it doesn't really bother me.

But sometimes I think that I've been brainwashed since childhood to be so polite that "Thank you", "Sorry" became a reflex, instead of something I consciously say. And I don't know of that's right.

My other friend suggested that it might actually be because of racial stereotypes. Chinese, being hardworking, and more recently, ridiculously loaded. Of course, do correct me, if I'm wrong. And Latina, being, I'm just going to trail this...

I don't know.