Part 4

Cody told me that he would happily take me to my Grandmas but we would now have to go by car. I had no other choice but to let him. I needed to get there!

"Will you tell me the directions? That's if you know the way once you're off the motorway."

"Yeah, I do."

We exited the station to the road, to our left was a car park.

"We've got a bit far to go, I'd say it'll take us over 2 hours to get to Ilkley. It'll depend on the traffic."

Cody approached a car that was out of CCTV view in the car park. It was a Mini. Cream and fairly new. Cody got a little rectangle stick thing out of his pocket and pointed it at the car. The locks went up on the inside of the doors. Why does he have this device too? How do I get one?

"Get in."

He opened the door for me and I ducked my head as I got into the passenger side of the car. Cody rushed around to the other side and we were off straight away.

I looked at the people on the streets, some of them looked rough and scary, others were families. I saw one that had a little girl on her dads' shoulders, her mum laughing next to them, the dad wearing a huge grin. This brought tears to my eyes, thinking of when I used to have moments like that with my parents, I couldn't help but smile at the girl.

"Are you alright?" I looked at Cody, he gave occasional glances my way.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Are you?"

"I'm kind of worried, if I get caught with you I'm dead!"

I felt awful, I didn't want to be the cause for all these deaths, "you don't have to help me you know."

"But I do!"

"Why's that?"

He didn't look at me anymore now, he didn't even want to reply. "I just do!"

I returned to looking out of my window, watching other people's lives around me.

I don't know when it happened but I fell asleep, and in my dream, I was running down an endless corridor, I heard Mike calling out my name for help but the faster I tried to move the slower I went, it was as if I was running through a thick substance. I could barely move, and the more I tried the harder it became. I saw Cody ahead, he was walking normally but he was getting further away. I tried shouting his name but it came out as a whisper, the more I tried the more frustrated I got, I wanted to scream his name out but no sound came out at all. The speed I was moving was now a single step in agonising slow motion, I so desperately wanted to scream. And now the fact that my voice wouldn't work frustrated me! I saw a figure ahead, I thought it was Cody but it wasn't, I didn't recognise who it was. They came towards me so I tried turning around but I was barely moving. I really hated this dream! I was grabbed from behind and I was forced back around, then I saw its face, covered in blood and all contorted like a monster, it was all deformed.

I woke with a start, I looked at Cody and he was holding my hand.

He looked at me for a split second and I saw a look of panic disappear. "You scared me! You were having a nightmare."

"Sorry." His thumb stroked my hand, it surprisingly made me feel a bit calmer from the shock of the dream.

"We're almost there now!"

We were going through some country lanes, which I recognise.

We went over a hill but on the other side, a car was blocking both sides of the road. Cody slammed on the brakes making me almost hit the dashboard, thank god I didn't. Cody sat there staring at the car, two people got out and headed towards us.