Finding the Butterfly Killer

Prologue:

Catching Butterflies in the Field

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I remember the day so vividly that I could still smell the fresh grass and her perfume. Aunt Connie always took me here on the weekends. I would run around until I could hardly keep my eyes open.

This day was the most memorable because it was the last time we ever went.

I also remember the butterfly.

**** 10 years ago ****

I sat in the middle of the meadow just watching the sun cast pinks and oranges as it set. I began to gaze around, my eyes spotting a beautiful blue butterfly atop a pretty purple flower.

"Aunt Connie! Aunt Connie, look!" I gasped pointing at the butterfly- flower duo. "Aren't they pretty?"

She looked down at me. "They are very pretty. Can you promise me something, though?" I nodded. "Remember that that pretty purple flower is very special. It's my favorite flower in the whole wide world and if you never remember any of these trips, just remember their name. It's a purple carnation and remember that your my favorite doll in the whole wide world."

After that, we got into her car and headed back to her modest little home in the outskirts of Salem, Oregon, for cookies and lemonade, a favorite tradition of mine.

**** Present ****

I still don't understand why this little world of perfection was so short- lived.

I'm Katy- Ann. My life was perfect. Then, I learned a terrible truth and everything went wrong. Why did everything have to go so wrong?