96 Hours to the End

I don't know what to do. Christy told me I'll have to wait and see. Going through today was so hard. I slowly put together everything I knew. After gnawing the eraser of my pencil in thought, I examined my list of facts.

Known Facts on my Future Killer:

~ Has Jose.

~ I'm his first girl victim

~ Famous for his brutal torture sessions and butterflies by the bodies

~ Gender is most likely male.

I looked at the small list. The tittle made my stomach churn almost as much as the fact that I hardly knew a thing. I felt so hopeless. He knew me like the back of his hand and one of the only things I knew about him was that he wanted me.

A knock on my door sent me three feet in the air before I realized that it was only Becky, my best friend since my Freshman year.

I slowly opened my front door with a small smile. "Hey Bec. What's up?"

She pulled me into a tight hug. "Payton just asked me to the Fall Formal!"

I squealed. This is all she'd been wanting for, like, a month. "Oh my God! That's awesome!"

I pulled her inside and closed and locked the door.

"Do you know what your gonna wear?" I asked, unable to contain my happiness.

"I was thinking about that cute little red one with the high low," she grinned.

"The minute you get that on, he's gonna be trying to get it off in a second!" I laughed.

"That's the plan," she smiled back at me, both of us bursting into simultaneous laughter.

********

I woke up to a knock at the door. What? It's almost two o'clock in the morning. Who could that be?

I slowly dragged myself downstairs and looked out the peep hole. I could see the outline of a small box on the welcome mat, illuminated by the only light on my block.

I pulled open the door and brought the tiny box inside. My hands were shacking so bad with fear that I nearly dropped the box. Slowly I sat at the table and pulled the box open. Inside set in pink tissue paper was a small bracelet with what appeared to be a tiny skull. I flipped over the bracelet and nearly screamed. On the back written in beautiful scrawling writing were the words "3 days". I was so shocked that I got up and just walked to my bed and laid back down.

********

I woke up to "Besitos" by Pierce the Veil blaring in my ear through the pillow. Oh no. He's back.

I picked up the phone and just listened.

Laughter. Screams. Jose's screams. "Two more days." End call.

Oh God. It's okay Kay. Just breath. In, out. In, out. There we go.

********

I stood in the school parking lot gossiping with Becky.

"I still can't believe that Coach Allan made us run six laps today. Dude my calfskin were on fire!" I sighed irritated about my P.E. class.

"It's okay, Kat," she sighed, calling me by the nickname she gave me the first day we met.

"I know but still," I sighed opening up my driver's door. "I better get going. Later."

********

I crawled into bed, my hair stringy from the shower I just took. At about four o'clock I heard my mom stumble inside. Great.

Just as my eyes began to drift closed, I got a text. Without checking caller id, I read the text.

"See you tomorrow, Butterfly. Tell your friend Christy hi for me. <3 the Butterfly Killer."

No no no. Too fast. Time has gone by way too fast. Crap. I have to tell Christy. I sent her a quick text telling her goodbye and did the same with Becky, Uncle Jake, my nana, and even my mom. I no longer have anytime. I kissed my stuff goodbye and did the one thing I never thought I'd do. I texted my killer.

"I'm ready to go now. I've said

my goodbyes. You know where to find me. ~ your Butterfly"

I looked at my phone in disbelief. What did I just do?! I just gave myself up early to a ruthless murdering psychopath! What was I doing? He was probably going to be angry about my willingness and hurt me worse. I just screwed up big time.