The Hour Glass

Chapter 5

 Use my talent.... I thought over and over.

 What is that supposed to mean? Anna asked.

 “I have no idea.”

 Well what are you good at?

 “I’m an actress, singer and piano player. I used to play softball but I don’t get how any of those would help.” I sighed.

 Why would King Myron tell you to use your talent then?

 “I honestly have no idea.” I replied.

We sat in silence for a few minutes until Crator came back in. “I almost forgot, that you need to eat.” The crystal box opened a little bit and a small plate of bread was slid into the box beside me.

 “Oh thanks for the great hospitality.” I said sarcastically.

 “Just be glad that I haven’t killed you.” He hissed.

 "You wouldn’t kill me.”

 He just sneered and walked away.

 When it was safe to talk again I turned to Anna. “I know what talent he was talking about.” I whispered.

 What?

 I touched my throat.

 How is your voice going to break us out?

 “This is crystal; I would always practice on her crystal glasses for my voice strengthening. If I can hit the right octave I can break it. I just need a good chance.” I said.

 Crator is having a dinner party in an hour; it will be enough of a distraction.

 I nodded. “Alright.”

 We were in silence for a while. I stood up and looked out the window. There were people entering the castle with trays of stuff and gifts.

 "Those people don’t look happy.” I whispered.

 That is because they are not happy. Time has been frozen for so long. No one ever dies or gives birth. It’s a curse that we have had to live with for thirty years. They have all been prisoners.

“We are going to change that.” I said.

I hope so.

 “I know so Anna, you just have to believe.”

I am a fairy that can fly and use magic, you don’t have fairies in your world and you are telling me to believe? She laughed softly.

 “I have always believed in fairies. I love fairytales; I always had a strong feeling that they were real.” I said.

 That’s why you were chosen.

 I nodded. “Anna, can I ask you about your family?”

My family…. She was quiet for a few minutes.

  My family left me when I was very young. There was a fire in the trees and we had to evacuate. As we were flying away, in the chaos of it all I let go of my mother and fell to the ground. I thought I was dying as I lay on the ground watching them fly away. When I next opened my eyes, I was in a strange place and there was a man sitting in a chair looking at me.

 “Hello little one.” He had said.

 I looked at him and sat up. I was in a fairy sized bed.