Cables

Chapter 2

I looked at Prince Andrew. “Cinderella.” I said.

He took my hands. “Cinderella.” He breathed.

“Wait wait! Blake! When you say Cinderella, you have to project a little bit more and both of you turn towards the audience about 30 more degrees.” Said Sarafina.

We slightly turned and continued.

“Cinderella.” I said.

 He took my hands again. “Cinderella.” He said a bit louder.

We leaned in to do the kiss when Sarafina called out again. “Where is the passion? The excitement! Blake I think you should sweep her off her feet then kiss her, like a real happy ending.”

“Sarafina. Do you mind? This is my show not yours. My actors have been working very hard this past couple of months, they have it down to the precise blocking movement. Blake, Ebony, take five.” He said walking up to Sarafina. As we left we heard him scolding her, “Do not tell my actors what to do, I do not need you wigging them out before show.”

“Dang, she is just trying to change our whole show.” Blake said opening a bottle of water.

“I know. She may be his sister but seriously, not cool.  We have this perfect, my dad is even coming to see this, it’s really important.”

He put his arm around me. “It’s alright. We are all here to make sure you don’t flip out.”

“Thanks.” Jason walked in through the tech doors then. “Jason!” I said and went to him.

He hugged me. “Hello beautiful.”

I blushed. “What are you doing here?”

“Well I came to see you. I also wanted to know what your plans were for dinner.”

“Nothing really. Why?”

 "Do you want to go out tonight?” He asked.

“Yes.” I smiled.

“Twenty seconds!” Josh called out.

“I'll pick you up at seven from your house then.” He said.

I kissed him on the cheek. “Alright!”

Blake and I went back to our spots on stage, he took my hands and we were once again frozen.

“And action.” Brian called.

“Cinderella.” I said.

“Cinderella.” He repeated.  We leaned into kiss when the stage and house lights went off.

I sighed and got offstage. I went to the lighting booth to see what happened. “Miranda?” No answer. “Alright then.” I got a flashlight from the top drawer and looked around. I knelt to the ground by the cables and saw the problem; the mains cables had been stripped. “Brian! I found the problem!” Brian came in and knelt beside me. “The cables are stripped. I will go get the electrical tape.” 

“You can’t, the lighting office is jammed shut from the inside.” He said.

“Yes, but if I change and climb the wall, its on the top shelf, and maybe I can unblock the door if I can get over the wall.”

“Fine, but be careful, and hurry please, we don’t have much time left.”

“Alright!” I said and ran backstage. I quickly changed into my clothes but still had the stage make-up on. I put my hair in a pony tail and went to the workshop. I went through the labyrinth of hallways and came to the props loft. I grabbed a chair and stood it up against the wall to the lighting office. The chair was to short so I jumped up and grabbed the side of the wall and pulled myself up and on top.

I grabbed the pole and reached down for the electrical tape, I snatched it up. “Ha! I got you!” I looked down the hall and saw a man, the same man that was at rehearsal a couple days ago. “Hey! You can’t be back here!” He walked around the corner. “Hey!” I jumped down and onto the chair and ran after him.

I came into the cluttered area of the props loft. The man had disappeared into thin air. I looked around the area and something caught my eye. I climbed over the stacked couches, and slid between the piled up dressers and tables. Something shown behind the black prop door. I moved the door a bit and looked. It was a piece of something.

I reached in and felt a breeze. “What the?” Something grabbed my arm and I was pulled down.

Thoughts didn’t have time to register before I blacked out but the last thing I remembered was thinking I’m falling into wonderland.