Canary Springs

Chapter 6

We sat there for a little bit drying off.

“I am not doing that again.” I said.

Agreed. Anna said. She looked at me. Ebony!

“What?” I said jumping to my feet.

Your arm. She said pointing.

I looked down at the shard of crystal stuck in my arm. I slowly tried to pull it out. “Ahh. I can’t get it out, it hurts too much.”

You can’t just leave it in there. Anna said.

“I know, but right now, we have to rest. We are going to Canary Springs in the morning.” She flew up and put herself on a high branch. “I will be right back.”

I walked through some trees looking for a good hiding place. I finally came to a tree with a bunch of roots coming out of the ground. I pulled the hour glass off of my neck and stuck it down there. I put some dirt and a couple leaves over it until it was fully covered. I went back and pulled myself into the same tree Anna was in and got situated on a sturdy branch just below Anna’s.

“Hey Anna?”

Yes?

I hesitated. “Um, do all animals talk here?”

That is preposterous. Animals can’t talk. She replied.

It was quiet and I could tell that Anna had fallen asleep. I had chickened out and not asked her the question I wanted to ask her. I fell asleep thinking about that question, not knowing if I even wanted an answer.

I opened my eyes and I was on a bench by a small pond. King Myron sat next to me.

“Hello King Myron.” I said.

“Hello dear Ebony. Glad to see that you got out of Crystal Valley alright.”

“Thank you for helping me.”

“Of course, but that was only one of the four rulers. It might not be that easy next time.” He said. “You didn’t take the crystal shard out of your arm.”

“It hurts too much. I tried but I can’t do it, it’s too deep.”

“Well you understand that it will get worse if you don.t” He replied.

I sighed. “I know.”

“On another note, I’m glad that Anna told you her past. It is good that you know all of the players in this game, even your allies.”

“Alright. Kind of like keep your friends close but your enemies closer?”

“That is an odd way of putting it but yes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.” He said.       

“Alright, I will.”

He sighed. “When you get to Canary Springs, be cautious of Canary, she is very smart and also very observant.”

I nodded. “Yes King Myron.” We sat in silence for a few minutes. “I’ve been thinking,”

“That you might want to stay here.” He finished.

I nodded. “I have always wanted to live in a fairytale, and in Minery, I feel like I actually can.”

There was a sharp pain in my arm and I looked over at King Myron who had pulled the shard of crystal out of my arm. I put my hand on my arm and it was bleeding really badly. King Myron’s figure started disappearing.

“You must go.” He said.

I opened my eyes and fell out of the tree. I hit the ground and Anna looked at me.