Chapter 7

One week later when I was no longer capable of sleep, I wanted nothing more than to lay down and let everything fade away.

I had moved out of the attic with no explanation to Vic whatsoever. He came knocking on my door shortly after the pancake-making escapade, but I simply didn't answer. He tried to talk to me for about an hour, but he got frustrated and told me to just stay in here then. According to Matty, he'd locked himself away in the attic once more.

It was just like he said. As soon as I was out of his hair, he was back to normal.

"Kellin! Open up!" Alysha's sing-song voice rang through the door in addition to loud knocking, which was pointless since she could've just walked through it. Since Vic and I had essentially written each other off, I'd grown closer to her and Matty. And boy, when she got comfortable with someone, she really got comfortable. Matty assured me that the distraction was good to mostly keep her depression from settling in, and I didn't mind spending extra time with the sweet girl.

"Go away, I'm sleeping," I groaned. Alysha ignored me and passed through the door, plopping down on my bed beside where I was lying listlessly. I had covered myself in blankets and rested there for a couple hours, but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get to sleep anymore.

"You already told me you can't sleep, silly. Now get up so we can do something today, you've been moping around forever," Alysha insisted.

"Whatever, Mom," I mumbled. The smile melted off her gentle features almost immediately and I instantly realized my mistake as she began murmuring to herself.

"I miss the baby. I wonder when the family is coming home..." she mused, her eyes getting that glazed off look they had when she thought about babies.

"Lysha, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to- here, what do you want to do today?" I asked, guilt washing over me for insensitively bringing up the one thing that I knew haunted her day after day. Thankfully, Alysha brightened slightly at my words, even if it was a little forced.

"I want you and Vic to make up," she chirped. I felt a pang in my heart, but I covered it up with a disinterested eye roll and a sigh.

"Vic and I aren't going to make up. He thinks I'm annoying," I explained, swallowing the lump that was forming in my throat at the memory of what he had said. Alysha pouted at me.

"He does not. Vic likes you better than anyone," she asserted.

"You know what he said to Matty," I reminded her, a little too much bitterness seeping into my voice.

"He didn't mean it, I've told you that," Alysha stated exasperatedly.

"You didn't hear him. He was so... heartless," I said. Alysha studied my expression intently. I was trying my hardest to remain stoic, but I probably wasn't doing that great of a job. I'd gotten way too attached to Vic in a short amount of time, and now I was paying the price.

The only good thing about Vic and I avoiding each other was Jaime not having his possessiveness issues anymore. He seemed pleased that Vic and I weren't speaking; since our falling out, Jaime had been nothing but friendly to me whenever I went downstairs. Jenna was still sort of a bitch by nature, but Jaime was so polite that I was almost wondering if I had imagined the entire confrontation. It seemed too bizarre to be real.

"If I can convince Vic to talk to you, will you at least try to make up? I hate seeing you like this," Alysha pleaded.

"He won't do it," I told her flatly. Alysha stared blankly at me, unimpressed by my lack of enthusiasm. I finally gave in.

"Fine. If you can convince him, I'll try my best," I conceded. Alysha clapped her hands happily.

"Excellent! Now clean yourself up like the pretty boy I know you are, and wait on the back porch until Matty or I come to tell you what to do," she instructed. I nodded, and she grinned broadly before practically skipping out of what was technically my room, although it didn't feel as much of mine as the attic had. I could hear her calling something to Matty down the hall.