Chapter Fifty-Four

Chapter Fifty-Four: Maggie

When you love someone, fighting with them is single-handedly the most difficult thing you can do because not only are you inflicting pain onto them, you're inflicting more pain onto yourself.

For there's only so much hurt one can endure seeing the person that they care about being on the opposing side of the battle and for once not right beside them.

It's torture, and in the past when I fought with Evan it didn't necessarily elicit any kind of remorse and or guilt from me, or at least not right away, all I knew is that whenever we fought, the main goal was just to get my point across and to win.

But now? The idea of succeeding in bringing someone down, especially someone that you've grown so incredibly attached to, hurts in ways that as soon as I do it, I immediately wanna retract.

It's almost like setting someone in flames but feeling the burn brim within you instead.

And this realization dawned upon me when one day our first fight as a couple, and not just as Evan and Maggie anymore, occurred.

I went to visit him and had planned to just crash at his place because ever since we both got into a relationship it almost became a habit for us to check up on one another.

But as soon as I stepped into the Williams household I immediately knew something wasn't right, or maybe it's because I didn't even get to take a couple of steps forward to their front door when I instantly heard it.

"Of course! You get to dictate every single fucking thing in my life and tell me to make better choices but once I do make decisions of my own, I'm being irrational!"

Furrowing my eyebrows, I carefully listened to the fight that was clearly taking place from inside the house as I heard aggressive footsteps resonating from the other end of the door.

"Evan! For Christ's sake, can you calm down?"

"No!" he exclaimed, "I can't understand why me attending colleges in New York is such a fucking crime to the both of you, it's not like there's anything wrong with it!"

"Because why does it have to be New York out of all places?" I heard Tiffany cry out, her voice agitated "Like there are so many more schools to attend here I just don't understand-"

"It's because I want to, okay? You get to decide what my job is before I even think about what I want to do in life and even pick who I'm supposed to get engaged to, but God forbid I choose what school I'm going to attend like it's some sort of crime!"

"Evan, stop raising your voice at your mother! She's only looking out for you-"

"What part of you guys wanting me to stay in LA is looking out for me? You just don't wanna admit that the reason you don't want me to attend colleges in New York is that you wanna tie me down and let me rot here because that's what your family did to you!"

There was a gasp before Mason's thunderous voice shouted: "Evan, I've had enough of you!-"

"And you think I'm not?!"

It wasn't until I caught Evan's silhouette marching in the direction of the door that I instantly stepped aside just in time he burst outside, a scowl on his face as he walked away from his parents, not even noticing I was standing right here.

"Evan! Where do you think you're going?" Tiffany shouted but Evan didn't even spare her a glance as he went on his way.

His parents just stood there, evidently distressed as I cleared my throat.