Chapter Fifty-Eight

Chapter Fifty-Eight: Maggie

It took a lot of persuading for Tiffany to make the fruit salad without the gummy bears but eventually, we got her to budge, though that wasn't to say she was pleased about it.

It wasn't long before Christmas finally rolled around, with half of the Williams' kitchen being bombarded with different selections of food, ready to be served during dinner.

Mom was still at work but she promised to drop by at 6:00 PM considering she still needed to pick up her gifts for Tiffany, Mason, and Evan as well as my gift.

Speaking of gifts, I took a lot of time to try to coordinate my gift for Evan, probably two weeks before Christmas even started really, as I did a lot of planning but even now, I was still quite hesitant about my choice.

But there was no backing out now considering I already wrapped the damn thing and sealed it with a ribbon on top for good measure, but I couldn't help thinking if it was good enough, to begin with.

Again, this was our first Christmas as a couple and so I wanted to get him something special, something he'll remember me by and something that's simple and he'll actually use in the future.

I thought a lot about it and at first, I was actually quite proud of it, but as the days went on I started to feel anxious if it was even as great as I made it out to be.

It didn't help when my anxiety amplified by tenfold when I realized Evan was planning to tell our parents about our relationship tonight. So I had two things to fucking worry about.

Dinner was right around the corner and I helped Evan set up the table while Tiffany finished up the last remaining meals she was cooking.

"I'm so nervous," I confessed while setting down the plates and utensils, as Evan looked up at me with his eyebrow raised.

"About what?"

"You know what," I said exasperatedly, placing my hands on the table. "I'm just overwhelmed about it, that's all. What if they don't take it lightly?"

Evan stared at me and said, "We both know my parents will be ecstatic once they find out we're dating, they were practically praying for this to happen."

"You got a point there," I mumbled.

Evan walked around the table as he made his way towards me, wrapping his arms around my waist as he pulled me into a hug. "I know you're worried about what your mom might think about our relationship, and you don't have to hide it anymore because honestly? I understand," he said, eyes warm and comforting "I can understand why you would be nervous to tell your mom about us considering she's been wary of me ever since."

I shook my head at that "That's not it."

"It is and you know it," he sighed, turning me around so I was facing him "You don't have to hide it from me in fear I'll take offense because if we're being real here, I didn't make the greatest of impressions to your mother. Plus she knew more about our past conflicts than my parents and if only you hadn't persuaded her, she would've probably terminated the contract long ago."

His fingers drew gentle circles onto the small of my back as he pulled me closer against his body and bent his head down a little lower towards mine.

The distance between us both practically nonexistent at this point "But you don't have to worry because I'll try to make it up to your mother and regain her trust again and to prove to her that she doesn't have to be worried about me."

"Evan, you know you don't have to-"

"I do, there's a reason why you're feeling this way and if it means that I have to go through such lengths to rid your mother of her worries and to ease down your burden, then so be it."