Chapter 2

The bell ringing yanked me out of my downwards spiral.

'Not today!' I reprimanded myself. I took one last deep breath, preparing myself, turned round to Blair and gave him my best reassuring smile. I needed to hold it together, if not for me then for him. I linked my arm through his and pulled him towards our first lesson. Blair's parents had him put in very class of mine so he could communicate through me, but he rarely even bothers. He will just blankly stare at most teachers until they eventually give up and move on.

First lesson went quickly, I couldn't focus on anything but my breathing. I didn't miss much though; it is the first day so all the teacher was yapping on about was an introduction to her class.

I walked into art, which was my next class, and sat on a table near the door. The wall I was sat next to had windows in so I could see out into the hall way. The teacher, Mr Miller, gave a brief introduction to his class then told us to draw something that made us happy. Blair started sketching away, he had a talent for art. In a few strokes of his hand a plain piece of paper became a beautiful vision.

"What makes you happy Blair?" I whispered to him. 

"It's the empty field behind my house." He whispered back.  

"That makes you happy?" I asked, puzzled by his choice.  

"Yes, because I'm not pressured into communicating." His voice was distant and his eyes were glazed over as if he was there in his mind right now.

"Do I pressure you into communicating Blair?" I asked after a few minutes of silence. My piece of paper was still bare as everything I came up with seemed too stupid and common. At one point I had even thought of simply drawing a tub of ice cream and being done with it.

"No, Athena." He assured me. "There are two things that make me happy, one is this field and the other is you and as I am pretty tragic at drawing portraits I decided not to insult you by trying. Plus everything that makes me happy about you can not be shown through a drawing." I stared at him, my mouth surely hanging open in surprise. The chatter in the room was deafeningly loud as people talked animatedly about their passions, but that was the most he had ever spoken in public at one time. I didn't know what to say back to him so I pushed his shoulder playfully; he chuckled back at me and carried on drawing.

I decided to make a list on the back of my paper, what makes me happy: 

Mom. 

Dad. 

Blair. 

Evan.  

Michael.

Then it hit me, something simple to draw(as I have no talent what so ever) that never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Michaels pink hair.

I sketched the outline of his messy hair and then started shading it in pink when out of the corner of my eyes I saw a tuft of pink hair. I turned to the window and saw it bobbing along the bottom again, then popped up Michael's face, grinning as usual. I knew he said he would be checking up on me but I thought he meant at break or lunch, not in class!

He casually strolled into the class whilst the teacher was helping another student and came over. Blair nodded to me and left the classroom and Michael slid into his seat.

"I am here as promised."  

"Okay, now go back to your class." I said. 

"Is that my hair?"  

"Yeah, we have to draw something that makes us happy, and that is my favourite hair colour by far."  

"Well I'm glad, have you met Luke yet?"