Chapter 10

Steve's relax time was drastically cut the late winter rolling into 2014. America was planning on ending the war, so Steve was drawn to many missions. He barley had time to read Tony's letters, let alone call him. Every other Tuesday, Steve would receive at least one letter, that one being from Tony. Before every mission, Steve would stuff the newest one into his suit. If he truly felt like this was his end, at least he could die happy. He never had to do so.

He was informed by a fellow Captain that that May, most personal would be on ships back to the US. People who sighed up for renewal would be staying in the base to keep the peace between both countries. Steve trotted up to the post to sigh up for renewal. They wouldn't let him.

The Lieutenant Colonel had direct orders from the General to send him over promptly after the war. Steve was told nothing else of the matter and was sent back to his sleeping quarters. The entire rest of his deployment, he wondered why he was being sent back so immediately. However, he wasn't complaining. This was the first bit of good news he heard in a while, good news to finally share with Tony.

From then on, every mission was another mission closer to Tony. Every morning waking up to overhead bombs or machine gun shells, was just another morning closer to Tony. Every step, march, leap, and sprint was one closer to Tony. With this mindset, the day's seemed to fly by like airplanes from above. However, in the last couple of battles, Steve's command was hit pretty bad.

Soldiers he'd been in training with, fought with, sat in muddy tranches with, had started to die right and left. Front line bombs now had a impacts on a personal level. Steve now knew the horrors of modern warfare as his comrades died practically in front of him. He knew coming into this, he might die and not physically. Comrades so full of life and optimism had been hit and suddenly resorted to making shells of themselves and giving up. Steve swore to never be like that; he would be getting out of this alive.

-

Tony swayed from side to side, the inside of his mind wrecking itself within his skull. He wore some sunglasses. Not only to block out the rays but to shield his nervous, and probably teary, eyes from the world. He arrived an hour too early, but here he was along with a good bunch of people. Steve said that he would be flying in on a small plane with some of the Captains and Lieutenants from his base. Tony had been informed on the rest of the plan Steve didn't know about.

He started to tug at his purple shirt, the feeling of having new mannerisms when meeting Steve was odd for Tony. Back in their high school days, it seemed like he didn't have to try. Now he was worried if his hair looked okay, would Steve still recognize him? He wouldn't pester his brain with these thoughts. He never has and hopefully he never will. Self doubt never was a quality Tony possessed because in the end, he knew people would like him. But this? This was way different.

Tony heard a woman next to him gasp and swiftly run in a direction. Tony looked up from the marble flooring of the airport and locked eyes with the most beautiful man he's ever seen. Steve's smile grew a thousand times bigger as they grew closer. Tony could barely contain himself and it was hard to not break out in a sprint. Steve wrapped his arms around the brunette and that's when Tony realized how big Steve had gotten over there. His arm muscles had definitely grown since going overseas. Tony pressed a kiss into Steve's cheek then one on his mouth, his hand resting on Steve's jaw. The kiss didn't last long but just enough to get the point across.

"I missed you so much," Tony said staring into Steve's eyes. He could feel the rocks sitting in his throat.

"I missed you too. I've never been so happy in my life," Steve huffed, smiling as wide as he could. His eyes were watering and a tear fell down his face. Tony wiped it away with his thumb and stood on his tip toes to kiss Steve's forehead.