Chapter 7: Echo

Luckily for Y/n, Blueberry was already at the Sans House when they got there. Ink talked with Core Frisk as Y/n changed into her new clothes. When she came down from her room Y/n got compliments from everyone. Including Fell, who seemed to be warming up to her. Ink chuckled as comments were thrown around.

"Come on Y/n, we should go find Classic." Ink pulled her from everyone. In no time, they had jumped through a portal to Undertale.

They had spawned right out of Snowdin. Y/n had never been in Snowdin, this was a new place to her. She slipped her hand into Ink's, but he didn't seem to mind. Snow lightly fell as the pair walked through the small town. The citizens gave them no more than a glance and smile. Ink stopped them in front of a two story house at the end of the street. Y/n wondered at how similar the looked to the Sans House. Ink knocked on the front door, squeezing Y/n's hand. Her face heated up despite the cold, Ink smiled.

"Coming!" A familiar voice came muffled from inside. Y/n recognized the voice as Papyrus. When he opened the door, she realized he looked exactly the same as her Papy. Ink let go of Y/n's hand as Papyrus appeared.

"Hello Papyrus. Is Sans around?"

"Oh, hello Ink! Sans is at his post in Waterfall! Who's this?" Papyrus bent down to look at Y/n. Ink introduced her to him. The two talked for a short time as Y/n studied their surroundings. A large cave opened up a few hundred feet from where they stood. The entrance sparkled with frost dusted gems.

Ink said goodbye to Papyrus as the door closed. He led Y/n to the entrance to Waterfall. The first thing she noticed was the temperature change. The coldness of snow and ice to the humid warmness of running water. The gems embedded into the rock walls glittered softly. It felt like a very peaceful place with the sound of water echoing. In the corner of the small cavern was a small hut with a hunched over Sans. His eye sockets were closed, his arm propped up his head.

"Sansy?"

"Classic?" Ink and Y/n called out to him at the same time. His eyes fluttered open, shifting to look at them.

"Oh hey you two. Y/n, what are you doing outside omega?" Sansy didn't know of her new role as Protector, Ink explained it to him. Y/n invited him to the celebration they were having. "Oh sounds fun. Count on me being there... Hey Y/n, this is your first time being in Waterfall?" She smiled and nodded, twirling around to scan the cavern.

"It's very pretty here!"

"Yeah, it is. Further in it's much more pretty. Why don't you and Ink go explore?" Sans winked at Ink as Y/n turned to him hopefully. Ink's gaze flicked nervously between the two.

"I don't... see why not." Ink replied hesitantly, wondering if Classic was planning something. Y/n jumped around in excited circles, Ink smiled a little. Shouldering her brush Y/n grabbed Ink's hand, urging him to move while waving goodbye to Sansy.

"Hey, Ink." Sans called out to his alternate self before they left the cavern he was in. Ink looked back, confused and annoyed. Sans covered the side of his mouth so Y/n wouldn't see what he mouthed to Ink. Whatever was past between them, Ink was flushed with a full on rainbow. She's a keeper.

~~~~~~~~~

Y/n sat on the bank of the glowing river, her bare feet skimming the water's surface. Ink sat beside her, staring into the distance. They held each other hands between them. Both knew they were no longer just friends.  Y/n leaned against Ink, smiling happily. He exhaled heavily, letting go of her hand to pull her closer to him. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders, placing a small kiss on the top of her head.

"Can we stay like this forever?" Y/n whispered, snuggling deeper into Ink's side.

"I wish Y/n, I wish..." Ink replied with a sigh, hugging her sideways. "Come on, we should get going." Ink let go of her, standing up. Y/n pulled her feet from the blue water, slipping her shoes back on. Ink had already taken his brush and made a portal back to the Omega Timeline.

Word Count: 725