Chapter 8: A moment.

Her POV.

A few days later we all visited Hikmah's home, we came to know that without a doubt he was a member of the family.

He was the first person we saw when we entered the house. He was about to go out when he saw us heading towards the front door. He quickly opened the door and waited for Baba to park the car. After we all exited the car, he knelt and shook Baba's hand when we were close enough. Baba shook his hand happily and went ahead to ask him if his father was in.

We were all shoked, why was it that Baba knew that he was a member of the family?

"Ahah! Baba! You knew?" Ya Nur asked.
"Knew what?"
"That Suleiman is Kawu Mahmoud's son?"
"What do you mean?" Baba asked with a frown.
"We all didn't know he was Kawu Mahmoud's and Aunty Fatima's son." Ya Nur replied looking very uncomfortable.

I stole a glance at Ya Suleiman and his action mirrored mine. We quickly turned away; I stared intensely at my shoes and he was busy looking at the street. Thank God everyone was so interested in Baba's reply that they did not witness our little showcase of awkwardness.

Baba crossed his arms over his chest and looked at all of us. He then started laughing loudly.

We all felt confused, but more embarrassed than confused.

The front door was flung open and Kawu Mahmoud's face came into view. He smiled when he saw Baba.
"Mutane na qaruwa, and yet only Nuhu has this kind of laughter." He said.
Baba turned around and saw him, his laughter quited down abit as they shook hands.
"Why are you laughing kuma?"
"Mahmoud! Wallahi its my kids. Please tell me how in Allah's name you can be friends with a person for not one not two but more than five years and issue din who his parent's are be taba taso wa ba?"
"Toh! how is that possible? What then have they been talking about haka?"
"Ka tambaye ne?" Baba said and again started laughing with Kawu Mahmoud soon joining him.

Having the two of them laugh at us was very uncomfortable and embarrassing. We stood there with forced smiles waiting for an opportunity to run away from the spotlight.

"Kai yaron yanzu. Amma I truly wonder, what then do they ask each other during the first few days of friendship? Na zaci tun day one ake tambayar wannan. Who is the unlucky fellow?" Kawu Mahmoud asked.
Baba didn't speak or point, all he had to do was stare at Ya Suleiman.
I looked at him and realized that we weren't the only one's feeling like fools; he had grimaced his face, dreading what he knew was about to happen.
It didn't take Kawu Mahmoud much time to look up. He followed Baba's eyes and met his nervous son.

The expression he made was priceless. Wallahi it felt like it took willpower and a little of my lifespan to suppress my laughter and I know it wasn't just me.

"Sule? Ya akai haka?!"
"Ahah Baba, mun dan sami miscommunication ne."
"Miscommunication? Shi ne it lasted har shekara biyar?" Uncle Mahmoud asked amusingly. His reply made them laugh even harder.
Alhamdulillah we were saved before they dwelled further into the matter because as it was, we were embarrassed enough and we all knew that there was more to come.
"Assalamualaikum." Aunty Fatima said.
We all turned our heads towards the front door and saw her.
"Aunty ina wuni." We said cheerfully while kneeling down just as Baba was replying to her greeting.
"Hajiya Fatima ranki ya dade."
"Ranka ya dade dai doctor. I heard your voice tun dazu and told Mahmoud to let you in. Na ji shiru, ba kai ba Mahmoud se dariyar ku. Shine nace its best I let you in myself, else haka za a yi hira a tsaye at the expense of my poor children."
"Haba mana Fatima. Yanzu dama zamu shigo." Kawu Mahmoud said. "Toh jama'a, being the good host I know I am, I'll lead us inside."
"Ah good host kam." Baba said amusingly.