Thirteen

13

Michi was shaking. The tears refused to stop falling. She tried so hard to make sense of everything that just happened. She tried to process those words, tried to understand what kind of sentences were forming. But it just wasn’t making any sense. She touched her cheeks. She’s crying again. It’s been happening a lot lately.

Drake’s mouth hung open as he watched Michi. She’s crying. She never cries. Not even once during the three months he made her life a living hell. Not once. Why is she crying now? Why now?

Keal turned and kicked the punching bags on his way out. He’s never seen Michi crying, nor Drake speechless. He was surprised because he knew why. They’ll finally have their closure. They’ll talk it over; why Drake had to break her and make her hate him, why he didn’t tell her about his discovery. She’d understand. She’ll know that if Drake did tell her, their lives would be fucked up forever. It was better this way.

They’ll end it nicely now. This, Keal knows.

Drake dropped to the ground next to Michi. “I’m sorry,” He whispered. “But we really can’t go back. You understand, right?”

For the first time, Michi finally saw the Drake that she had loved. But he was right. They can’t go back. Theirs is not a fairytale that would not end happily. Drake was right.

“I understand. But Keal was right.” She tried to get up from the ground. Her knees were weak from crying and Drake caught her. “You could’ve ended it differently.”

“You can hate me as long as you want.”

“And you can stop putting up that front.”

He gave her a look. His asshole personality made not only the only woman he ever loved hate him, but everyone around him. It’ll take a lot of time. But they’ll work it out.

“I’m keeping my jackass self. I’ve grown to like him.”

Michi smiled. It’s been so long.. They’ll work it out.

- - - -

Michi couldn’t walk right. Her knees still gave way/ So she let Drake hold her hand until they found Rayyn. She wonders if her brother knew. They agreed to talk it over. At least clear it up. They were (she cringed at the word) siblings, after all.

- - - -

Eyes traveled from Jayson to Michi to Drake. Teams saw through the glass window of the cafeteria just how Drake held Michi. Stares turned to curiosity, until they turned to pity. Jayson Mikhail doesn’t need anyone’s pity. Myk opened his mouth to say something. Jayson surprised even himself when he slammed his hands down the table and headed out the door.

He bumped into Michi on the way out. Her eyes widened in surprise. Jayson noted how red they were. He appraised Drake, and, before turning back, said,