Fourteen

14

“Jayson? Um, I –”

End Call.

Panicked, Jayson stared at his phone. What the hell did just happen?

He was acting like a little bitch playing hard to get. And that was not a good sign. He stood up, the chair tumbling down behind him. That’s it. He really doesn’t understand anything anymore.

“Duuuuuuude, are you in love?”

Jayson jumped in surprise. Myk was grinning by the doorway. Unknown to Jayson, he’d been following him since the dude left the cafeteria and walked around in silence for hours. It’s not everyday Myk’s patience stretched that long, but he stuck around and followed his absent minded friend anyway.

“The heck are you talking about Myk?” Jayson pocketed his phone, panic actually rising up his gut.

“Want me to give a name to what you’re currently feeling?” Myk’s grin grew wider. He opened his arms wide, looking like he’s expecting a hug. “Jayson Mikhail, YOU’RE JEALOUS!”

Jayson stared at Myk long and hard. Haha, no way. “Don’t be stupid.”

“I usually am but this time it’s an exception. Why else would you walk out like that the moment you saw.. them?”

Honestly, Myk, you didn’t have to emphasize. Jayson rolled his eyes. An action he surprised himself with. Jayson Mikhail never rolls his eyes. Was he so agitated, so frustrated that unexpected behaviors turned up?

He hopped down the professor’s platform and moved past Myk.

“It’s over, Myk.”

Myk dropped his hands to his sides and his grin vanished, replaced with a frown. “What’s over?”

Jayson stopped and looked at his bulky friend. They stared at each other for two seconds until realization dawned on Myk.

“No way, it can’t be over! We’re moving to the semi-finals! You’ll win and have her for sure!”

“Do you even hear yourself?” Jay messed up his hair in frustration and walked back into the room, pacing like a madman and threw his fist on the table. “You sound just like I did three days ago. Her brother was right, she wasn’t some kind of trophy and that stupid deal was made simply because I lacked sleep and sense. We never should have even met in the first place.”

Myk was quiet. He should have come up with a witty comeback by now. When Jay looked up, Myk’s face was filled with pure horror. He didn’t understand, he wasn’t that pissed to render Myk speechless, was he? He followed his gaze. It landed on the broken wooden table, chaps of wood were scattered on the floor, mixed with something dark and slimy.

Something was dripping. His eyes crawled to his arm, to his hand.