Chapter 19 - Everything Is A Race If You're The One In The Lead

Ariel paced constantly in the lobby of the Squadron building in Selenium City. Buddy's eyes went back and forth as he watched her pace from the couch, with her movement increasing his anxiety.

They had yet to hear anything on the issue of Neuman several hours now, and the uncertainty was painful. He could be dead from this world and they wouldn't know any differently.

Eventually, the camouflage wearing Masamba came down the stairs and into the lobby, and treaded towards the two thirds of a trio. "Good news! Neuman is safe!"

They let out a sigh of relief.

"He was found by Juno, and was taken back to Celestia. It seems that they want you guys to meet him there."

"She found him alone?" asked Buddy, now getting up on his feet.

He shrugged. "Don't know. All that I know I have just told you."

"Well then we have to go, now!" shouted Ariel!

Right as she said that there was the sound of heavy footsteps running down the stairs, and then the sound of someone falling down them. Kayson and Bishop rolled onto the floor in a mangled mess.

"My face hit the ground first!" proclaimed Bishop, proud of his apparent victory.

"Na-uh! My scarf definitely beat your head to the punch!" argued Kayson.

"Clothing doesn't count!"

Marion calmly stepped down the stairs and over the other two. "No, I win because my feet are both planted firmly on the ground. It was a foot race after all, not a face race."

"Ugh. Just as long as this loser doesn't win," said Bishop, standing up.

"Just as long as that winner loses," replied Kayson. "Wait what?"

They looked at each other and burst into laughter.

Well there goes the tension, thought Ariel, looking amused at the other group's entry.

Masamba didn't know how to react, so he just cleared his throat.

The Defenestrator Squad paid attention and got quieter.

A lightbulb went off in Masamba's head. That's right! I can use this opportunity to get rid of these hooligans! "Hey Defenestrators, why don't you--"

"Hey what's up?!" Kayson asked Ariel and Buddy.

"Don't ignore me!" commanded Masamba, who was ignored anyways.

Ariel sighed. "Things happened and we got separated from Neuman, so we're going to head out and meet up with him."

"What got you guys separated?" asked Marion.

"It's a long story," answered Buddy. He scratched the back of his neck as he thought up what to say. "Well, let's just say we were kind of attacked."

"Attacked?!" they all said with wide eyes.

"Yeah, but it's cool now. I don't think they were bad people."

Ariel nodded. "I think there's more to the situation than we understand. Well, I guess we'll just have to figure that out when we meet back up with Neuman."

"Yeah, so if you'll excuse us, I think we need to catch up with him as soon as possible."

"What, you mean you aren't taking us with you?" asked Bishop with a smile.

Please take them, Masamba thought to himself, silently begging. He hadn't been finding enough assignments to keep them busy so they ended up just hanging out in the building and causing all sorts of problems for him.