Chapter Twenty-One - You Started a War With Me

The explosions rattled Haley’s room and she awoke instantly. She rolled out of bed and by the time she stood up, she already had grabbed her tunic that was hanging by her bed; she fastened it around herself under her inner clothing and put on her trousers and belt. Haley took her katar that stood beside her bed; she stamped into her boots and ran out of the room. Guards hurried about as she ran to Zoey’s room to see if she was safe, when she reached Zoey’s room, she was outside her door, eyes wide in surprise.

Zoey saw Haley at the corner of her eye as Haley ran to her, “What’s going on?” She asked.

“I don’t know, there’s been an explosion,” Haley said looking around before turning to Zoey, “Princess, please allow me to escort you to a safer place in the castle.”

She nodded. Haley grabbed her hand and hurried to the bomb shelter under the castle, dodging the hurried guards and running down winding staircases.  Soon they reached the steel doors underground, once they identified themselves, the guard granted them access. It looked like a small home, three bedrooms, one for each family member, a kitchen, two bathrooms and a living room.  Cole and Emelia was already there with the King, a few guards were already stationed inside of the door.

“Emelia, protect the King and the princess, Cole you come with me!” Haley shouted to drown out the explosions, Cole nodded.

“But I want to come!” Emelia protested.

“No Emmi, it’s too dangerous,” Cole said immediately.

“But I can take care of myself! I’m not a child!” She argued.

“Emelia, we need someone here to protect the King and Princess, there’s no time to argue, we have to stop the explosions!” and with that Haley ran out of the room not waiting for Cole.

Haley could hear Her Uncle barking out orders in the distance, she ran up to the rood and saw two missiles hurling straight towards the castle. Cole soon joined her up on the roof. The wind whipped at her ponytail. Haley raised her hand, “Eksplozyon!” she shouted and both missiles exploded in mid-air. Immediately, she felt drained, black spots danced before her eyes, Cole supported her when she staggered. She took a strength potion that was in her alchemy bag and downed it in three gulps, a little dribbled down her chin and she wiped it away, almost instantly, her strength returned. She stopped leaning against Cole and searched the skies for more bombs, ready to destroy them but none came.

A small whistle whispered by Haley’s ear but she dismissed it as nothing but the wind. By the time she had used her heat vision, it was already too late when the camouflaged bomb dropped its disguise. One thought came to her mind.

Shit.

Jaden fòs!” Cole shouted, reacting faster than her, blue purplish shield enveloped both of them and the bomb hit the castle. A hole was blasted in the roof but Haley and Cole remained unharmed, Haley used her heat vision again and the bombs ceased to come, Cole dropped the shield breathing hard. Out of the fog, an injured soldier stumbled in front of the castle, yelling weakly not to shoot. Haley flew down to meet him; she recognised the crest of the king on his uniform. Without much explanation he urged a tape recorder in her hands and lost consciousness. She caught him as he fell and carried him inside, Cole following her. Once they got a guard to bring him to the infirmary, she pressed play and a voice crackling in the static spoke.

“If you are hearing this, means you have survived my bombs! Congratulations! You mages have guts to go out there and destroy my missiles,” the voice laughed. “The next part of the message is for King Xephos, if you don’t mind, bring it to him please, thank you and don’t worry, I will cease fire!” the recording automatically paused with a click. Haley scanned the area around her, a few holes had opened up around the roof, and not only was that it a camouflage missile, but a scattering one. Smaller holes other than the crater had opened up, collapsing debris into the rooms below, she could only hope everyone had evacuated.

Haley grabbed Cole’s arm and in an instant, they were in the bomb shelter. The guard next to them stepped back in surprise before regaining his composure and standing still again. Immediately, Emelia tackled Cole with a hug, almost falling over, hugged her back.

“I’m so glad you’re safe,” she whispered and continued hugging him tightly.

“You think I would leave alone?” Cole replied, smiling. Haley felt irritated at their unawareness that she was still single so she cleared her throat loudly reminding them they were in front of the king and they jumped back from each other, their cheeks pale red.

Haley held out the recorder to the king, “King Xephos, we have received this recorder from the enemy, the recorder is not trapped I assure you. The speaker has asked you to hear it personally.”

Xephos nodded and took the recorder from her hands; he set it on the table before pressing play, the message continued.

“King Xephos! How wonderful to be talking to you! Unless you are not King Xephos, then this will be very awkward conversation,” the voiced laughed before clearing his throat, “now, I’m sure you are wondering why I have bombed your precious castle and kidnapped your princess simply that is power and it seems your country is picking a fights with mine, I assume you want to go to war and one of my city mages have been killed by what is suspected yours. Is this what you call joining together a country? My parents want to be part of the alliance with the three kingdoms, the mage you might have killed will be accounted for I assure you if found guilty but for now I’ll trust myself and take matters into my own hands. What I want is for you to give up your kingdom peacefully if you can, I will cease fire for now and await your gracious response. Hugs and Kisses, Sjin,” the recorder crackled before stopping.

And as if the gods knew about our distress, a clap of thunder rang out through the slience.

*

Soon, the castle was a little calmer than before, but Haley’s uncle had issued a stronger force of guards to be stationed outside. She walked around with Cole before realizing something.

“Cole, where is Uncle and Amber?” she asked.

He shrugged, “They are sure to be at the war room, let’s go,” Haley nodded and made her way with Cole towards the war room. It was spacious and big, the ceiling high so any order resonated around the room. A big meeting table with a map covering it sat in the middle, figurines of soldiers dotted the map and Haley’s Uncle and a few other generals crowded around it, Amber was nowhere in sight.

Haley felt as if something had gone wrong, she looked to Cole, “Cole, go check on Emelia,” she said and Cole nodded before walking off. Haley walked to Amber’s room; Amber was probably cleaning her weapons like she always do, but when she reached there, the roof had caved in, the moonlight spilling through and it illuminated something stuck in the rubble.

A hand and hanging from its wrist was an ender pearl bracelet.