Chapter 13

I don't remember much of the rest of that day. I woke from my faint in Father's cabin aboard Bane and once he heard about the knock on my head, he sent for our healer. Curuvoron must have stocked up on valerian again, for after prescribing rest and complete quiet he dosed me with a horrible tasting brew, which sent me to sleep almost immediately. But I welcomed the darkness.

After that I have a vague recollection of being roused repeatedly, each time to find Curuvoron peering into my eyes, but those episodes somehow merged seamlessly into my nightmares of Corethir and his men. When I finally awoke for good, the setting sun was slanting in through the windows, casting a golden glow on the polished wood of the deck. I lay still, listening to the familiar creaking of the great ship around me, punctuated by the sound of water softly lapping against the side. Yet the lack of rocking motion told me we were still tied up in port. Turning my head, I found one of the maids I knew from our town house waiting next to my bed. When she saw I was awake, she helped me sit up.

"Would you like a wash, my lady?" Gwaeleth asked.

I nodded, and let her assist me to my feet. I felt curiously light-headed, but at least my crippling headache had vanished. And my mind was clear again. Far too clear. Had I really done what I had done? I groaned softly.

The maid stopped in the process of peeling off my dirty clothes. "My lady, am I hurting you?"

I waved at her to continue. "No, no."

In one corner of the room was a tub, just large enough to stand in while Gwaeleth sponged me down with lukewarm water. I closed my eyes and searched for the fury that had run through me earlier on, but found the fires of my rage burnt down to bitter ashes.

He had lied to me. From the very beginning. No wonder he had treated the Princess of Dol Amroth as his equal, looking her over like a mare for sale. A tiny spark of rage lit in my soul, but no matter how I tried to fan it into a blaze, it just drowned in a sea of desolation. Léona had lied to me.

"I hate you!" Perhaps if I said it loud enough, I would believe it.

"My lady?"

I jumped, having completely forgotten about Gwaeleth's presence. "Nothing. Don't mind me."

The maid wrapped a towel around me and helped me step out of the tub. Somebody must have sent for spare clothes from the town house, for a clean gown awaited me. Gwaeleth slipped it over my head, tied up the laces and then brushed out my hair, before settling me in a chair by the window. A quick glance out at the dusk confirmed my guess, we were still moored up at the Harlond. Dropping a curtsy to me, the maid withdrew.

As I expected, a few minutes later my father entered. He had a couple of servants in tow, one of whom proceeded to light the brass lamps hanging from the ceiling, while the other carried a tray of food, which he placed on a table by my chair. At the sight of it my stomach growled loudly. Then I got a surprise. My brother Amrothos strode in!

I straightened up. "Amrothos! What are you doing here?"

He pecked me on the cheek. "Finally catching up with you. You've led me a merry chase, little sister, haven't you!"

"But how did you get here so quickly? The last time I saw you..." I stuttered to a halt. Would he be very annoyed with me for giving him the slip?

"You saw me?"

"Let Lothíriel have her dinner first," my father interrupted, "then we'll have her version of the events." Waving at the servants to leave, Father settled down in a chair opposite me. "Eat! I won't have you fainting on me again."