Chapter 7: Four Months Before the Fall

Scores of elves roamed the Great Courtyard in the ruins of Karabor. They had come to train to become a weapon against the Burning Legion. They deliberately sought Illidan's teaching to take vengeance on those who had destroyed their previous way of life.

        Now after years since Illidan's experiment with Maylria, there existed hundreds of demon hunters who underwent the same process as she did. Three of the first elves to undergo their changes became prodigies which Illidan quickly recruited to aid Maylria in the creation of more of their kind. These exceptional demon hunters were trained to teach their apprentices about certain topics.

       Varedis, a blood elf confident in his abilities, was appointed to teach the initiates about the nature of demons. He was cunning and thirsted for knowledge.

       Alandien, a quick-learner night elf, taught the initiates about battle tactics and infiltration into the demon's homelands.

       And Netharel, a wise-aged night elf, was appointed to teach them about weapons and fighting skills. Although all of these three were assigned to different sections in a development of becoming a demon hunter it did not mean they lacked what they didn't teach. They were all powerful enough to be of an equal match against each other.

       Many excelled and survived the transformation. Those who did, moved on to train against their foes and amongst themselves. But as it was foreseen, many did not survive the power bestowed upon them. Such was the fate of Fenrik. Maylria had witnessed her friend being torn apart from his insides and exploding into magical beams of light. There was nothing she could do to help him, and she blamed herself for his death. Nonetheless she knew sacrifices would be made and many were not deemed worthy of a demon's possession. They required a strong vessel to unleash their power which some elves did not possess.

       Maylria had met two familiar faces among the newly arrived elves. One of them had been the rogue she and her friends had encountered back in Darnassus, who selfishly attacked Fenrik; Dalianard, who now went by the nickname Felstroke. He recognized her for who she once was and who she is now. He pledged his loyalty and strength to her and Illidan. He too had suffered losses and he sought a way to take revenge.

       The other familiar face was Fenrik's older brother, Vandel. She had not seen him since the battle for Mount Hyjal where he lost his family to demons and fled his homeland seeking revenge. She had told him about Fenrik's fate but he did not seem bothered by it. He showed promise as the skilled fighter he was and Illidan quickly noticed. He put Vandel under Maylria's wings to train him. With time, they had become great friends and one of Maylria's favorite disciples. He was cunning and obedient. Both Felstroke and Vandel had successfully completed their transformation and were skilled hunters eager to meet the legion in the battlefield.

       Maylria had become stronger than before. She could feel it within her. The demon and her had come to terms in that they both wanted power and although the demon had once tricked her into consuming a succubus' heart and blood whilst doing the spellwork to bind it to her, it had agreed to lend her its full power. The succubus she consumed invaded her thoughts just like the felhound had once done when she began her transformation. She used this situation to teach a demon hunter how to tattoo runes in other's bodies to bind the demon, all while he tattooed on her. And so it became his task in the creation of demon hunters.

       Akama was baffled by all of this. One could see worry in his eyes. He walked the halls of the temple and wondered if Illidan would ever return this sacred place to his people.

       'Most unlikely' he thought. He seemed to be planning something and Maylria could not quite understand what. She had followed his every move and noticed that he visited his homeland much more frequently than before.