Chapter 8: The Fall

Months later, just as she had feared, the Azerothians had turned their focus on Illidan's armies. So far they had raided Hellfire Citadel and killed Magtheridon, which meant that their source to transform orcs for his army was no more. Lady Vashj had been defeated and the Coilfang Reservoir was shut down. With these events, Illidan's forces diminished greatly.

       Illidan sat at the head of the table in the council chamber along with the Illidari Council, Akama, and some of his leaders among the demon hunters. The Council members were quick to inform him of the events and sought his guidance. Maylria stared at Illidan waiting for a response. Instead of a plan to push back the invaders, Illidan had told them that their time in the Black Temple did not matter as it was a temporary placement until he came up with a plan to invade the Deceiver's homeland. He had assured them they only needed to keep their bases secure only as long as it took to open the portal to Argus.

        Illidan directed his words to the demon hunters present in the room. He had told them to prepare for their next invasion in Argus as he planned to open the portal shortly. He announced that the final piece required for the opening of the portal laid on the hallowed grounds of Auchindoun; the soul siphon.

       Hours later, as he made his return from Auchindoun, Maylria found Illidan unconscious on the floor of his chamber with the siphon on his hands. Illidan had exhausted himself retrieving the artifact and now was greatly weakened by it.

       Even weeks after Illidan returned to the Black Temple from his visit to Auchindoun, he felt weak. Truly the necromancers had put up a rough fight to protect their relic. But still there was work to be done. He had told Maylria of his next scheme to journey in his spirit form to Argus. He needed to place the terminal runes in order to link Outland to Argus to travel directly through the portal. Despite Maylria's plea for him to not go unaccompanied he asked her to make the final preparations among the demon hunters, and so she agreed.

       Everything was ready for the portal to be opened. The demon hunters were eager to set foot in this new place and kill scores of demons. Maylria scouted the halls when suddenly loud explosions were heard. She heard commotion coming from outside the walls of the temple and quickly made her way up to the Temple's summit. There, she had a view of the assailants. It was them... They were attacking the Black Temple through the sewers! She caught a glimpse of High Nethermancer Zerevor, one of the four members of the Illidari council, and called out to him.

       "Seek Illidan in his sanctum. Warn him about the Temple's assault!" She commanded him and he ran as fast as he could to deliver the message. They had chosen the wrong time to invade their sanctuary. The portal to Argus was not yet open. Will their plans fail? Or will they succeed in opening the portal before the Azerothians reached them? She sure hoped so.

       Shortly after, Illidan appeared by her side. He now looked over the armies that assaulted his Temple. In the middle of the invaders was a Naruu accompanied by Horde and Alliance members alike.

       "All is ready for the portal to be opened, Illidan. We must make haste!" Maylria said worried that their plans would fail.

       "There will be a slight set back. Argus requires too much time in order to open up such portal and with the invaders at our heels I very much doubt it could be possible" Illidan paused and looked at Maylria. "I want you to take lead in this next invasion, Maylria. I will send you and the demon hunters to Mardum, the world Sargeras created to banish the demons prior to his corruption. There you must find the Sargerite Keystone and retrieve it. This artifact could be of use to us to defeat the Legion in the near future".