Chapter 6

Congratulations to Secretquietlygirl! This is her wonderful art that she did of Verya.

For any fan art in the future, you can email me at kierahawke16@yahoo.com. The song is for when she is riding Tervan.

♢♢♢♢♢♢

Over the course of the next few days, I replenished my strength and restocked my supplies from what could be spared. It would give me enough the last until I reached one of my own supply caches.

I watched the wheels of the machine that is the Inquisition begin to roll as the Inquisition itself started to grow and expand. Whispers were going around about a Mother Giselle who wished to meet "the one who carried the mark" in the Hinterlands. Knowing I could not fulfill this role, I merely watched until the night for my departure came.

Making my way through the silent town, I took one last look before going through the gates. I could see Solas watching me from his spot near the healer's lodge. I sighed as I turned my back and walked through the gates.

Something moving in the shadowy paddock off the smithy caught my attention. There was a dull gleam that piqued my curiosity. Heading for the paddock, I adjusted the bag over my shoulder, feeling it brush against my swords.

Nearing the enclosure, I could hear the deep breaths of a large animal and the stamping of hooves. As the moon came out from behind the clouds, I was able to see the unusual creature that had caught my attention.

It was the Bog Unicorn that had recently been given to the Inquisition. With black skin stretched taught over a skeletal body, fiery orange mane and tail, and a large rusted sword through its head, the creature was a thing of unique beauty.

Turning to look at me, the bog unicorn's sides expanded as it drew in my scent. Something about it called to me, drew me in.

"We're the same, you and I. You who people already fear and shun, and me who people will fear and shun after learning what I truly am." I whispered as I set down my bag and opened the gate to the paddock. Slipping in, my eyes stayed focused upon his. I reached out slowly with my right hand, stopping with my palm facing toward him. It was his choice whether or not to allow me to touch him.

There was silence for a moment, the only sound being that of our steady breaths. Then he stepped forward, the bridge of his nose coming to rest against the palm of my hand.

We savored the resulting connection, a name beginning to make itself known in my mind.

"Is that what you want me to call you?" I asked. "Tervan?"

Moving away from me, he snorted, tossing his head like he was nodding. A smile graced my lips. Looking in the direction of the smithy, I saw a saddle and bridle, both black leather, hanging up. Carefully, with experienced movements, I saddled Tervan, slipping my bag with supplies into one of the saddlebags.

Leading him out of the paddock, I swung up into the saddle, Tervan dancing beneath me with his readiness to run. Gazing up at the full moon above for a moment, I then leaned forward and whispered in his flicked back ear, "Let's race the wind."

Tervan reared, pawing the air, and then leapt forward, his long, powerful strides quickly covering ground. Jumping over a boulder, there was hardly any break in his pace. Haven disappeared from sight behind us as we made our way through the valleys and trees in the snow-covered mountains.

Coming into a clearing encircled by trees, I slowed Tervan to a canter and turned him slowly in a large circle. For a moment, time seemed to slow as snow began to softly fall around us. Once we finished the circle, he once again broke into a gallop through the trees until I brought him to a stop atop a cliff to one side of the path. We were almost out of the mountains. I took one last glance back in the direction of Haven. Then I urged Tervan forward, and as we made our way out of the mountains the sun began to rise.