Chapter 15 - One Secret Too Many

Toni's POV

"Gabi..." I started. "Gabi, I...I didn't know how to tell you. Please listen to me, I'll tell you everything, okay?"

She sat there clutching her belly, staring at me with her mouth wide open and her eyes with the deepest look of fear. "When were you planning to tell me?" she finally whispered.

"Soon, baby, I promise I was going to tell you. I just had to think of how to do it. The talks collapsed. I can't stay here anymore."

"You told me everything was okay!" she yelled. "You told me!"

"I'm sorry, Gabi," I slid over on the couch so I was closer to her. "I didn't want you to worry."

"So you think this is better?" she demanded. "You chose to keep this from me? This entire thing? Do you know how much this affects me? Or did you just think of yourself?"

"No, Gabi, please don't be like this. Please don't scream."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP, TONI!" she screamed. I reached over and grabbed her arm, but she shoved my hand aside and stood up to storm to the bedroom. "I can't believe this! I trusted you, Toni. I trusted you when you said everything was okay."

I stood up and hurried after her. "Gabi, please don't run. Please calm down. The babies –"

"The babies?! As if you care about the babies! What if you never thought of the right way to tell me? Were you just going to fly to Madrid and leave us here? Were you?"

"No, baby, please," I followed her into the room. "Please listen to me."

She sat down on the bed with her back facing me. She didn't say a word, so I took that as my cue.

"I can't stay at Bayern anymore. They won't give me what I want."

"What do you want?" her voice started trembling. I reached over to touch her shoulder, but she moved away.

"Gabi, they're giving me so much more."

"Money?" she whispered. "Is it money?"

"I need a change, Gabi. I've been here for practically my whole footballing life. I need to go somewhere else and try something new. Like...another stepping stone."

"Another stepping stone?" she repeated. "So Real is a step up? Is that what you're saying?"

"Gabi..."

"Is it the money?" she asked again.

I sighed. "Yes, I think what they're offering me is much closer to what I deserve."

She spun around and glared at me, a hint of disappointment in her eyes. "So it's the money. Just admit it, Toni, it's the money."

"Gabi, if you would just look at what they've offered –"

"I don't care!" she yelled. "They beat us...they beat us five-nil. And now...now you're joining them. I can't...I..."

"Baby," I scrambled over the bed towards her as I realised her breaths were getting shallower. "Gabi, are you okay? Please calm down."

"I love Bayern," she sobbed. "I've loved Bayern all my life. I've loved you...all my life. And now...you're going...leaving." She turned and looked me in the eye. "You've already decided, haven't you?" she whispered.

"Gabi, I –"

"Just answer me," she snapped.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. "Yes, I have."

She looked down and shook her head sadly. "And you never even told me. You never discussed it with me. Not even a single word."

"I'm sorry. I really am. I'm so sorry, baby."