Chapter 34 - Warm Hearts, Warm Winter

Toni's POV

"Come on, baby," Gabi pulled on Johann's arm as he planted his feet firmly on the ground and refused to move. "Let's go. I'll buy you clothes. And food."

"Food, definitely," I added.

"Food," Johann mumbled, but he still refused to move.

Mia, who had walked a few steps ahead of us and fallen on her butt, picked herself up and wobbled her way back to us. "Dadaaaaaa," she whined, grabbing my calf and pulling on it.

"Okay, we're gonna go now," Gabi told Johann. "And you're gonna stay here, okay?"

She let go of Johann's hand, leaving him swaying from side to side on the spot, and grabbed mine, pulling me and Mia along towards the mall. Johann stood there forlornly for a few moments before taking a few steps towards us.

Gabi smiled proudly and held out her hand towards him. "Let's go, baby."

"GOOOOOOOOOO," Johann screeched as he reached us. He grabbed on to Gabi's hand as I held on to Mia, and we proceeded the rest of the way to the mall for Christmas shopping. The twins still couldn't walk properly on their own despite having known how to walk for over four months, but they could walk steadily when we held their hands.

Gabi had found a journalist job which allowed her to write from home, which was great because she could take care of the twins while working. She'd been doing so for about two months, and she was looking happier every day. The dark rings around her eyes had subsided, at least. Even though I was worried about her stressing herself out, I chose to believe her when she said that it was helping her to fit in.

"What do you want for Christmas?" she asked Johann as he wobbled alongside her. "Toys? A new blanket? Balls? Hugs and kisses?"

"BALL!" he yelled at her, grinning widely, and I didn't know if he was just repeating a random word or if he really wanted a ball.

"A ball?" Gabi said thoughtfully. "You wanna follow in dada's footsteps, yes?"

"YES!" he yelled again, still grinning.

Gabi turned to me proudly. "He's gonna be a great footballer."

"You totally manipulated him to say that," I laughed.

"No, I didn't," she retorted. "It came right from his cute little heart," she beamed at Johann.

"Cute little heart, huh?" I bent over and pinched Johann's cheeks. "I love you, Johann."

At the sound of those words, he automatically puckered his lips, so I leaned in to let him kiss my cheek. Immediately after, Mia again caught sight of all the action and made her way unsteadily towards Johann, letting go of my hand and taking his.

Gabi laughed. "Oh, Mia," she sighed.

We had no other choice but to walk along with Johann and Mia in between us, hand in hand, while we held their other hand. The both of them were quite literally inseparable – but who was complaining, because as long as we all cared for each other as a family, what else could be more important?

Gabi's POV

"See the pretty lights?" Toni pointed at the multi-coloured Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling. "Christmas is coming."

Mia, who was always attracted to bright colours, suddenly stopped and gaped at the Christmas lights above her, leaning her head so far back that she fell backwards and on her butt again.

Toni laughed and picked her up, this time propping her up on his arm so she could admire the lights safely. Upon witnessing that, Johann tugged eagerly on my hand and spread his arms wide, begging me to carry him up as well, so I did.