Chapter 14 - Rude Awakening

Gabi's POV

I watched in horror as goal after goal was knocked in. I watched as Toni slumped over in the middle of the field, his hands on his knees, his head hung low. I watched as he eventually gave up and stopped running, and as he trudged down the tunnel right after the final whistle was blown.

I got up, walked out the back door of the VIP box and out into the parking lot. I got into the car and wound down the window so I could feel the wind. I couldn't cry.

Happy mummy, happy babies.

I repeated that like a mantra. I closed my eyes. Happy babies.

I grabbed the Bayern cushion in the backseat and hugged it tightly. Declining the chair so that I was comfortable, I closed my eyes and let myself drift; drift to somewhere nice, somewhere with happier times.

I'd already fallen asleep when the slamming of the driver's door awoke me. Toni was sitting in the driver's seat, furiously turning the ignition. His hair was in a complete mess. He didn't turn to look at me.

"Baby, you okay?" I whispered, afraid of his possible outburst.

"No," he snapped.

I cringed. "Sorry."

He leaned his head back on the headrest and sighed loudly as I slid the seat back to its original position and sat staring at him nervously. Suddenly, he opened his eyes, reached over, grabbed me and pulled me in for a hug.

"I'm sorry, baby," he mumbled into my hair. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"It's not your fault," I whispered.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice trembling slightly. He didn't pull away to examine me like he always did, probably so I wouldn't see the look on his face.

"I'm fine," I turned slightly and planted a soft kiss in the crook of his neck. "You?"

He didn't reply. His grip on me tightened, his hand moving up and running down my hair, and his chin moving to rest on my shoulder, but he didn't reply.

I placed my hands gently on his back and moved them up and down, feeling the softness of his sweatshirt, the warmness of his back and the quickness of his breaths. I didn't know what else I could do to make him feel better. I wanted so much for him to forget it all. But I didn't know what to do.

So we just sat there, arms wrapped around each other, breathing in each other's familiar scents, until he finally pulled away and gave me a wry smile. He didn't say anything else as he started the car and drove out of the parking lot.

The drive home from the Allianz Arena was quite a long one, and I was growing sleepier by the second with the slow traffic and the cool wind blowing in my face. The magazine I was reading wasn't even entertaining enough. Toni didn't talk to me at all, which didn't help in keeping me awake. Before I knew it, I'd fallen asleep again.

Toni's POV

Gabi was asleep by the time we pulled up on our street. I took the time I had to take deep breaths and compose myself. It had been a horrible night so far, and I just wanted to forget it.

I turned and looked at Gabi. There was still a torn expression on her face even as she slept. I reached over and removed the magazine in her hands, placing it on the dashboard.

Suddenly, her face was illuminated by the distinct yellow of car headlights. I turned to the front only to see one of our neighbours from down the street stopping at the end of his driveway as he was on his way out. He waved at me, and I gave a friendly wave back. His headlights flooded the entire interior of our car as he turned out into the street, causing Gabi to stir.