Chapter 27 - My Valentine(s)

Gabi's POV

Toni charged down the stairs and shoved me aside on his way to the door as he heard the bell ring. He wove his way past Johann and Mia, who were wriggling about on the ground, and almost crashed head-first into the wood as he opened it.

I stared at him, shocked and confused, as he almost snatched the parcel from the mailman, grinned widely at him as he signed for it, thanked him, and closed the door.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked as he waved the box around like an excited little child.

"I can't believe it came today!" he said, moving over to the couch. "The twins are six months old today, right?"

"Yeah," I smiled. "What is it?"

"I bought these for them," he said.

"For them?" I asked, intentionally sounding a little hurt. "What about me?"

"You have me," he proclaimed, opening the parcel and digging into it. "And this is for you too, Gabi. It's Valentines' Day, and I would never forget my darling Valentine."

"Really?" I asked, picking the twins up and going over to the couch to kneel beside him. I waited eagerly as he finally pulled out whatever was inside.

Much to my surprise, it was two Bayern kits. In the previous season's design, the beautiful red one. In child sizes.

I felt my mouth fell open as I turned and stared at Toni and his cheeky smile. He turned the two shirts around – on the back was written "Johann, 8" and "Mia, 9."

"Oh, my God," I whispered. "That's their cot numbers."

"Yeah," he slid the shirts over their heads as I watched with my mouth still open. They were much larger than the Real kits, presumably so that they could still wear it when they were a little bigger. After all, that design couldn't be bought anymore. They looked so lively in red, and so adorable with the shirts almost as long as evening gowns. I couldn't believe I was seeing them in my team's colours.

"Oh, they're beautiful," I started sobbing. "Thank you, Toni. Thank you."

"You like them?"

"I do," I sobbed. "You should have bought a 3 for Johann, so they make 39."

Another huge grin split his face as he reached back into the box and pulled out another child-sized shirt, this time with "Johann, 3."

"Here you go," he said proudly.

"Oh," I choked, grabbing the shirt from him. "Oh, Toni!"

"Are you going to say that now it's unfair because Johann has two?"

I laughed through my tears. "Now that you mention it, it's a little unfair."

He smiled, reaching over with one hand and wiping my tears gently. With his other hand, he dug in the box again and pulled out yet another red shirt. "Mia, 8."

"8 also happens to be my number now," he told me as he passed it to me.

I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I got up, went over to his side and crawled into his lap to hug him tightly. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, baby," he kissed the side of my neck. There was some more movement behind my back as he played around with something. I assumed that he was just rearranging the twins on the couch, so I just ignored it, but a few moments later he pulled away from me.

With his arms still behind me, he smiled and gave me a kiss on the nose, before moving his arms back in front and holding up yet another two red home kits. "Did you really think I forgot my number?"