Perception Of Lives

Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance towards the summit keeps the goal in mind but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point.

                                              Harold. B. Melchart.

Sitting in the car, with his mind constantly drifting to the stranger's words, every now and then, Udit was lost in the whirlpool of emotions. His perception of life since he understood the meaning of it, few years back had always been positive yet appealing to his own mind. But since the day, he was forced to accept the changes in his lifestyle, he became an absolutely negative person with no care of his own self and his parents.

"How can that girl be so cool about everything? Doesn't her heart ache to lose her eyesight?" He mused mentally every now and then completely ignoring the voice of his parents who were confused to their wits end seeing him so transfixed in his own little world.

Since the second they joined him back at the station after hiring a cab which would directly drop them to the Special Education Centre of Visually Impaired, they noticed a certain sort of emotion flickering in Udit's eyes which was hard to understand.

"Udit, are you okay, son? Is there any trouble?" His father Ansh Shenoy inquired in a worrisome tone bringing him out of his thoughts.

Amrita kept an assuring hand on her son's shoulder and consoled him with a cracking voice, "I know baby, it's hurting you. But we are doing it for your benefit only. The institute specializes in training the kids who suffer through this and with this training they are able to live normally and also chose a career for themselves in their desired fields. If not for your dreams then we wouldn't have ever brought you here".

Udit jerked her hand away as his obstruction kicked in, making her face pale.

"I know that very well that I have become a burden and shame for you all. You don't have to give me petty excuses of your decision to throw me here". He replied in a stern and low tone not wanting the driver to hear his mean words to his own parents.

Ansh sighed because he knew better than anyone else that his son was one stubborn male. If something got etched in his mind then it would be an impossible task to change it.

"If that's what you believe then nothing we say or do, will change your opinion about us. But I just want to tell you that no parent can stop loving their children even if they lose a part of their physical body. We just want you to realize that you are still the same person with same ambitions and values. Nothing has changed within you". Amrita explained stroking his hairs lovingly exchanging a hurt look with her husband whose eyes welled up hearing her words.

A hurt and pained look crossed Udit's face as he immediately masked it with his angry charade. He knew he was assuming the worst for his parents, but his conscience wasn't permitting him to accept the truth. It was like a cycle of few events was etched in his mind, which was constantly killing the hope inside his heart and soul, that even he could sustain his life like normal human beings.

The cab entered the premises of the famous Dehradun Institute and Udit felt some weirdness in the air already as his heart started pounding faster in his rib cage.

"This city is much more beautiful than Jammu isn't it so Ansh?" Amrita queried her husband looking around the greenery of the area along with the simple yet elegant decorations of the institute building.

They resided in the northern state of Jammu and Kashmir between the cold hills for most of their lives. Udit being the famous among their all relatives, was the most pampered due to his smartness and dedication. He was the subject of conversation always which at times pleased him and at times, it left him infuriated too because he hated so much of discussions on his personal life.