Chapter 7

Braden POV

"She's dying!" I yell to Peter who is struggling to keep pace with me.

We make it outside the school. We race down the sidewalk, ignoring the people who stare at us. I'm surprised the cops haven't caught up with us yet.

We race past the human hospital, which is next door to the school. Human doctors can't help her now.

I look down at Livy worriedly, and I see her eyes are open, looking at me. Those deep blue eyes. Like the deepest depths of the ocean. Her gorgeous blonde hair, now smeared with blood. Again. Her head is tilting to a side and she stops looking at me, and instead, she looks around us, with a blank expression. Not worried, or any sign that she is dying, almost as if she accepts she is dying.

I look up as we run across the street. I wince as I hear the screeching of breaks and the honking of horns. I pull Livy closer to me, and place my hand on her head, pushing her against my chest.

We are heading for Lily Lake. The lake that people never go too. Two kids have died in that lake. A sickness was spilled in this lake, and two, young, innocent kids, were infected from the lake, and died.

It is pretty chilly out, but we still run. This way and that. The wind slapping our faces. My winds. My winds that are full of worry.

We are almost there. Just one more block and we will be on the sand that leads to that death lake.

Livy is getting paler and I will my feet to move faster, to stay strong. Strong enough to save her.

"Finally." I mutter as my feet hit the sand. I run about midway, from the sidewalk, to the water, then stop. Peter stops next to me, breathing hard and looking at Livy with frantic eyes.

"It's going to be okay." I say to him, even though we both know I'm lying. I'm quite surprised he is taking all of this so well. Almost too well.

I take a deep breath and gently lay her in the sand. Immediately the sand starts to turn red.

I look at myself and gasp at how red I am. My whole shirt front is soaked in blood and my arms are the same. Blood red. Livy's blood. She is losing blood fast.

Peter is dead quiet and is kneeling beside Livy, brushing her blonde hair away from her face. I'm glad for that because what I must do will take my full concentration.

If only it were me who got hurt instead of Livy.  She is great at summoning portals. I only have a little experience, but I can still do it. Just not as good.

I take a deep breath and lift my chin up, looking towards the sky. Breathing in the fresh air, clearing my mind, I mumble the secret code words to call a portal, and move my bloodied hands up.

Suddenly, a bright beam of light comes down from the sky and hits the ground near us, flickering a little.

Without stopping to hesitate, I quickly scoop up Livy and say to Peter, "Come on! Hurry, I don't know how long I can keep it open!" And we both jump into the beam of light.