Chapter 28

Braden POV

Kerani's army. They're here. For us.

I run over to Odeya. Jessie and Thomas clutch each other tightly.

"Carly! Thomas! Jessie!" I yell, to be heard over the screams and sirens.

"You all need to get out of here, and go into hiding. You need to get away from here. We have to leave now."

The four of them nod, and I take Odeya by the hand, starting to slowly pull her away.

" I love you guys!" She yells to her family- including Carly.

Odeya POV

We run down the path, back towards the gate, where Mom and I left the carriage.

I rush to the back of the carriage and retrieve our supplies, while Braden runs to the front and unhitched the two horses that were pulling the carriage, getting them ready to run.

I pull out our things, walk back to the front, and drop Braden's things beside him, while I strap my backpack to the side of my horse's saddle. Braden does the same.

Then following our plan, I give Braden a brisk nod, then go to the back of the carriage to change.

Two minutes later, I come out with my hair in a crappy ponytail, black combat boots, black leggings, a black tank top, and black sweatshirt without a hood.

I sling the quiver on my back and strap the weapons belt around my waist. With the Unveiler, sword, note saying, Use the Unveiler, and a couple of daggers, and blades on the belt.

I keep the bow in hand, but leave the wedding dress behind. There is no reason to keep it. It can't help me anymore. There is no reason to bring it. Just another thing for me to carry.

Braden has changed too. He now wears something very similar to my outfit. Black T-shirt, black sweatshirt without a hood, with black pants, belt, and hiking boots.

He and I both hop on our horses. "Ready, love?" He asks me. I nod. "We don't have much of a choice." I click my tongue against the roof of my mouth, and kick my horse in the side.

I hold the reins with one hand, my bow in the other hand.

Braden keeps pace with me, as we gallop away. We're fugitives now. We have to end this as soon as possible. We will kill Kerani.

We eventually run out the terrorized screams and cries for help, and we stop.

It's dark out.
We camp in the cover of the trees.
I take the blanket out of my horse's, Nutmeg's saddle pouch, then set it down where we are going to sleep.

"I don't think we should light a fire tonight. People might see it. Too dangerous." I say to Braden who is already sitting on the blanket. He nods. "Yeah. Good idea."

I sit beside him, and we lay down.
He puts his arm around me, and I cover us with the blanket.
"I promise." He murmurs. "I won't let anything happen to you."
I almost believe him.
Almost.
But.
Deep down.
I know,
He can't.

----------------------------------------------

We ride all day the next day. Kerani's army still hasn't caught up with us.
I find a map (Mom must have stuck it in my backpack) of the whole dimension. It says there's a small town called Crawshaw ruled by a Duke of the name Kasel.