Chapter Twelve

Loud shouts made my eyes snap open. The sound was coming from the stairs and before I could blink, an arrow had found a home in the chinks in the armour of the two men. They screamed and a hilt came in contact with one of their faces, making him topple back and hit the ground. The same sword swept up in an arc, pinning the second man to the wall, the blade pressing his neck in warning.

Kirin's glare could have wilted flowers. From behind him, Lyon emerged, gripping his bow so tight his knuckles were white. His eyes visibly widened when he took in my condition and I tried to smile, but it came out as more of a grimace.

Segan just looked exasperated at having been interrupted again. "What do you want?" he asked, no trace of fear or even panic in his voice.

"Get out of here, Segan," Kirin said. The man beside him squirmed and Kirin pressed the blade into his skin, cutting a line of thick red blood.

"What if I don't?"

"We'll make you get out of here."

Segan's laughter boomed in the small room. He turned completely to face them, ignoring me altogether. "How are you going to make me get out of here? You, who could never win against me."

I turned over. The dagger by Mordrigana's feet glinted. I squirmed, pushing myself forward. I didn't trust my legs just yet.

"That was ages ago," Kirin said. He was a smart man, he'd keep Segan talking. "I've improved. I've learned more fighting styles than even you. What do you say, Segan? Let's fight, man-to-man."

Segan growled. "There is no way you can win this, boy. Walk away and you might get out of here alive. The prince, on the other hand, will not. You should not have bought him with you."

Why had he brought Lyon? It wasn't as if they were the best of friends. As far as I knew, there hadn't been a word exchanged between the two.

"I am going to walk out of here with both Thalia and Lyon. It's up to you whether you'll be coming out with me dead or alive."

I heard Lyon mutter, "Thalia?" to himself and was astonished when I found it in me to worry about it.

The cool hilt of the dagger met my burning fingers like a balm. I tried to cut the ropes that bound my wrist, moving the blade as much as I could.

"You have great confidence," said Segan, "but tell me why you protect her. Has she not hurt you more than enough? Did she not break your young heart? She deserves none of the sympathy you give her. So, why do you do it?"

I paused. For the first time since he entered this place, Kirin looked at me. I had been afraid when Segan had captured me. I had been afraid when I looked at the Goddess. I had been afraid when that sword grinned above my head, waiting to be put to use. But none of that compared to the sickening dread I felt at that moment.

Kirin's eyes were devoid of emotion, cold eyes piercing my heart. I felt dread coat my bones in a black, slimy mess, dripping into my veins.

There are different types of fear, I think, and the most predominant is the fear for one's life. The fear that this time when you shut your eyes, it might be your last. Another is the fear that comes with knowing someone you loved has given up on you. It's that deep, twisted feeling that intermingles with a crushing hopelessness and an earth-shattering sense of failure. That's a far worse fear than the one for your life, because that settles in your bones and doesn't let go. It drags you down under its weight and you can't even struggle against it.

Kirin turned back to Segan and I looked away, not finding the will to cut the ropes anymore. "I'm not doing it for me," he said. "I'm only doing it because Larkin asked me to. If it were up to me, then I'd have left her. You get your satisfaction and we have one less traitor to worry about." Each word hit me like a blow to the stomach. I fought my nausea and concentrated on moving the blade back and forth.