Chapter Eighteen

Clouds blocked the sky, cutting off the light from the shimmering diamonds across the world below. The land was swathed in darkness, as if a blanket of shadows had been dropped gently, the webs of black fluttering in the air before settling on the sleeping kingdom. Nothing stirred. The Nightmares had taken rest, as well, staying well away from the peaceful rest of the people. Nothing stirred, not even the wind. The silence was a thick as the darkness. As the morning drew near, the clouds were dipped with black ink. The sky rumbled in dissatisfaction, hiding the rising sun behind the army of clouds. The air was ripe with electricity.

Inside the palace, the air was equally static. More than half of the people were awake and alert, milling around in their respective rooms or in the arena, pacing, thinking. Most of them were clad in armour while others still dressed. The rest of the people in the palace were asleep, oblivious to the future that was going to grip them in a short while.

I stood in my room, watching the clouds flicker with bursts of light. I was clad in my armour already, doing nothing but wait. I'd left the doors of my balcony open. Cold, crisp air rushed in, having more space to roam.

I ran through the plan in my head for the hundredth time. I knew every minute detail, but I still couldn't fight off the feeling that something was going to go wrong. Not for the first time I wondered what I was getting the rebels into. Yes, Larkin had formulated the plan, but he was not there to see it executed. I was the one left behind. I was the one responsible for the blood that would flow.

I glanced down at my sword. I really hoped I didn't kill anyone.

A knock on my door was followed by a guard peering inside. "The king requests your presence," he said. I nodded and followed. I could feel the weight of the necklace around my neck.

We had got word less than half an hour ago that the kingdom of Ikrisvane were going to come to war. True to their word, the rebels who had not come with Larkin to the palace had placed tents and even though their number was few, managed to look as if more than a thousand soldiers were waiting to attack the city. A servant of the king's confirmed that a large camp had been built right at our borders. It would take them less than a day to reach and when they did, they would not be merciful. The army had flown into a frenzy. Battle formations were being perfected and positions practiced. I had avoided the helter-skelter of their rehearsals because being there would only worsen the anxiety burrowing in my stomach.

The guard hesitated at the king's door. "Good luck," he said at last. He smiled and I noticed he had eyes that mirrored the grey outside. I smiled back and wished him the same.

I realized as he walked away that I didn't know his name. I had lived in the palace for six months and in all that time he had been the same guard who escorted me to and from the king's chambers. So many times had I walked with him, and never did I think to ask his name. There was a person under than gleaming armour who probably had a wife and children. If I went through with this battle, it would probably uproot his life if he survived it. How many lives was I willing to destroy to get what I wanted?

The doors to the king's chambers opened and I didn't have time to dwell on it. Inside, Aaron was sitting on a chair, nibbling on a piece of toast. He didn't notice me when I entered.

I cleared my throat. "Your Majesty?"

Aaron looked up. "Ah, you are here! I take it everything is ready for the war?"

"Yes, sire," I said. "Will you not be joining us?" I asked, noting his lack of armour.

He chuckled. "No, no. Look at the state of me. I could not lift a sword, let alone fight." Well, I couldn't disagree with that. "No, I called you here for a reason." He got up from the seat and went to the far corner of the room and beckoned to me. "Come here."