Chapter Seventeen [Part One]

Kirin's mother had died after giving birth to his sister. Her name was Tara. She was three years younger than Kirin and he loved her unconditionally. She was a pretty little girl, with eyes like her brother. Their father wasn't there to take care of them for he was out most of the day working and most of the night drinking. So it had fallen upon Kirin to take care of his sister and he never complained.

Four years after her birth, Kirin and Tara were at the local well to fetch water. There was no one around and they filled water swiftly in their buckets. Apparently, that portion of the land had been leased to the king and trespassers were to be executed. A pair of guards who had been sent to govern the land caught sight of them. Kirin protested that he didn't know, but the guards were under strict orders. To distract them, Kirin pelted them with stones, giving his sister time to run. The guards were furious and chased him around, but he was fast and small and managed to find a placed to hide. He heard the twang of bows and since he was still a child, he stayed there, even when screams showered the air. It was only after the sun had set that he dared go out. By then the guards had left. Kirin went back to quickly take back the bucket of water, hoping that his sister had got back home safely.

He had almost reached the well when he tripped on something. When he looked back, it was the body of a young girl, eyes wide and staring hauntingly. Almost a dozen arrows protruded from her back. Blood coated the ground, thick and cold. He had blood all over his clothes and hands. He ran back to his house, screaming, the image of his dead sister seared into his mind.

When he told his father what had happened, his father was so wrought with grief that he forgot entirely about Kirin. His father was later killed in a public execution against those who defied the king.

One of the rebels had been staying in Kirin's immediate vicinity at the time and took him in with no intention of making him join the rebel camp. When Kirin did find out, he volunteered immediately. He'd never left camp since.

...

My eyes were flat and dull. Brown had never been a very flattering colour but today it looked worse than normal. My skin was leeched of life, the only colour on my face the yellow of my bruise. I was still in my black clothes. I couldn't find the will to change out of it. I would be in mourning until we won this.

Oddly enough, drawing close to the conclusion of the tale didn't make me happy. The only thing I felt was tired. Tired of the lies and pain and death.

The door to my room opened and Kirin entered, not bothering to have knocked.

"They're waiting for you," he said.

His eyes weren't as listless as mine. It was perhaps the light of the sun that made the green dance so.

I nodded. He stopped me before I reached the door. "They are still distrustful," he said, "give them time."

I nodded. "What about you?"

Kirin considered it. "I'm still absorbing the information."

He opened the door and Ella entered. "Oh, my apologies. I didn't realize you would be heading out."

"No, actually, it's a good thing that you came here. I need you to do something for me." I turned to Kirin. "You go on ahead, I'll be right behind you."

Ella gave me a quizzical look. "I need you to listen to me very carefully," I began. 

...

The number of people gathered at the basement were far larger than the number of people who had arrived with Larkin. This included all the rebels who had been staying at people's houses in the town, as well.