Chapter Two

Yvain walked along the beach enjoying the feel of the wind. Something about the wind called to her and when there was no wind she felt uneasy, as if something was missing.

As usual the beach was empty. Most of the Fallen preferred the city’s wall and she couldn’t blame them. Most of them had to stay a whole year without stepping one foot out of the walls or they would die. Thankfully she hadn’t had to go through that yet, though she was close. With her eighteenth birthday coming soon Yvain knew soon she wouldn’t be able to take walks on the beach.

Of course thanks to the Pures there weren’t many Fallen left. There were only a few hundred left and most of the people in the city were humans. Since only a female Fallen could be produced from the royal bloodline the Fallen were forced to take human wives and thus there were many more humans than Fallen. A child of a Fallen and a human would be Fallen, Yvain’s own mother was human and she was the only Fallen female.

A wave splashed over her feet and she was brought out of her daze. Something was coming, she could feel it on the wind though she didn’t know what but whatever it was it wasn’t good. The air felt cold against her skin and she shivered. Yes, it was going to be very bad.

“Yvain!” called a man. Yvain turned to see it was Taler. He was also a Fallen and had eyes for her ever since they were children. He was huge with broad shoulders and being a blacksmith he was strong. His black hair was pulled back in and tied at the base of his neck while his blue eyes blazed with fire.

“Hey shouldn’t you be in the city walls?” she replied and then laughed. “I guess not. Happy nineteenth birthday.” She hugged him.

“Thanks.” His huge arms easily wrapped around her tiny body as he picked up. “So what are you doing out here?”

Yvain rolled her eyes. “Taler I’m always down here. You know I love being out to feel the wind and water.”

“You know if we were Dragons I would say you would be a water Dragon.” He put her down after a moment. “You love the water so much but also the wind and you would get more wind when you fly.” It was no secret that many people wanted them to marry. Taler was a good man and Yvain knew he would make a great king. Thankfully she didn’t have to worry about marriage till she survived.

“So what are you planning on doing now that you can leave?”

He shrugged. “You know my family’s business is here and well I don’t exactly want to leave. I like it here and see no reason to leave.”

Yvain shook her head. “So you don’t want to go see what the rest of the world has to offer? You never know what you might find.”

“Yvain everything I could ever want I have here. A good job, family, food, more than enough money. Besides if I go who else is going to make sure you stay out of trouble.”

She laughed. “Oh I don’t have to worry about that. All people care about is that I survive. I can do anything I want and not get in trouble. Besides everyone loves me.”

“Yes we all do,” he agreed. “And sometimes I think you being the only Fallen Princess goes to your head. You think you can take over the world. And as for not getting in trouble try telling that to Kelan. I’m sure he’s not afraid to teach you another lesson.”

“Umm no thanks. Kelan is already hard enough on me. For some reason he thinks I won’t marry and so I must know everything about the kingdom. Of course my father thinks it’s the best thing but…” She shrugged. “My mother on the other hand doesn’t understand it. She thinks a lady doesn’t need to know anything about war.”

“That’s because she’s human.” Taler chuckled. “She’s not part of our world.”

“I think it’s more of we’re not a part of their world. There are so many more humans then Fallen.”