Chapter Six

“So what the hell did you say to Taler?” Hita asked a week after Yvain had yelled at Taler. “He won’t leave the pub and hasn’t even looked at a girl.”

Yvain shrugged. “I might have told him off for sleeping around.”

“Why? I mean why now? He’s been doing it for years.” Hita frowned. “Did something happen that I don’t know about.”

Sighing she turned to her friend as they walked down the beach. “At the party Taler got jealous because I was dancing with one guy and he didn’t like him. But anyways I got a little too drunk and might have kissed Taler because why not? I don’t know you do stupid stuff when you’re drunk and well he kissed me the next day and called me out for not loving him back and liking the one guy I was dancing with.”

“That sounds right,” Hita noted. “I mean Taler’s been in love with you for years.”

“Exactly and I called him on that and still sleeping with other women. If he really loved me then he shouldn’t have slept around. He knew we were probably going to get married so he could have kept it in his pants but I can’t honestly look at him and be serious about marrying him. Besides as much as he has my father and Kalen fooled I don’t think he would make a good king. The fact I brought up the fact that I care more about breaking the curse than love and he threw a fit just shows he doesn’t understand how much of a role I play with the Fallen.”

“I get how he feels for you but he should have known you’ll always put the curse and your people first.” She shook her head. “Sounds like he deserves what he got. You know I always wondered why he slept around so much. Not that I’m complaining. That was a great night but I always wondered what you thought about it.”

“To tell the truth I never really cared. I figured we would marry but I never thought about sex. Like I figured it would be just like we’re friends but something has changed. I don’t want to be with someone who will sleep with just about anyone. I need someone who will stand by me.”

“You know he would. No matter how much he’s slept around he would stop for you.”

Yvain turned to her friend and knew she was right. “He probably would but I don’t know. I should probably go talk to him. He’s still a friend and I can’t let him kill himself by drinking too much.”

“That would be a good idea. People are starting to get really worried.”

As Yvain stepped into the pub she saw Taler instantly. He was a mess. His black hair spilled around his head, which was resting on his arm as the other stretched out that spilled his drink. Clearly he was passed out.

Yvain felt her heart clench. No matter what happened between them they were still friends and he was her closest friend. “Come on Taler let’s get you home.” She put her hands on his shoulder and tried to wake him.

“Leave me alone.” He glared up at her and saw who she was. “What do you care?  It’s not like I mean anything to you.”

“That’s not true and you know it.” Anger flared within her but she quickly pushed it away. There was no point in fighting with him now. “Taler you know I care about you. We’ve been friends forever and no matter what I will always care about you. So let’s get you out of here and cleaned up.”