10// great balls of fire

Rae Dean
Tulsa, Oklahoma
(Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis)

I'd never gone from talking to Dally for this long. There was a few instances where we'd been in the same room together but we never spoke. The boys were starting to worry a bit and so was I but I didn't say much about it or anything anymore. I felt like I needed to be more quiet after what Dally had said about me. So I kept my mouth shut and that worried people.

I didn't leave anywhere without one of the boys anymore even though no one had bothered any of us since the incident. Johnny now had a nasty scar at the corner of his eye too. He's lucky is just made him look tough.

There wasn't really much I did during the day anymore. I was either always at my house or the Curtis' and while I was there I didn't do much other than nod in agreement with whatever was being talked about. They all knew that when I was feeling down I didn't say anything but I'd been this way for almost two weeks now. I felt like I was falling in a hole I couldn't get out of.

I needed something to do.

I was sitting in Darry's armchair as Two, Johnny, Pony and Steve were playing cards on the floor. Darrell and Soda were at work and I guess Steve had the day off. So far just from looking over Two's shoulder, I knew that he wasn't going to win but he kept smiling like an idiot to throw them off. That was his tactic I guess, no matter how bad it was. Blackjack could make people do weird things.

I was in the middle of a daydream about my dad when the telephone started ringing and threw me back into reality.

Steve reached over and picked it up. "Curtis house. What do ya need?'

"Dally? Where are you? Again... I thought y'all weren't talking? Alright, alright.." And with that Steve held out the phone for me. "It's Dal. He's in the cooler again."

"Why does he need to talk to me?" I asked, my voice a little hoarse from not talking that much.

"I don't know. He said that he just does."

I sighed, taking the phone and putting it up to my ear before taking in a breath.

"Rae?"

"What do ya want Dallas? I don't got time for you to yell at me some more."

"Rae, I was taken in. They caught me stealing some stuff in the DX. One of the new kids called them on me. Ya need to bail me out," he didn't sound too scared but I knew that he hated the cooler after being in there for so long.

I was quiet for a second before I spoke again. "Why don't ya get your super cool girlfriend to come do that for you? I mean I think you forgot that I'm apparently not in the gang so why do I need to help you?"

"Rae can you shut up and pick me up? C'mon now, I'm sorry I didn't mean it," he muttered through the phone, faking the apology.

"You fucking owe me," I hissed, hanging up the phone and getting out of the chair. "I gotta go bail out Dally. Can I take your car Steve? I don't want you to have to stop your game."

Two gave me a look before sighing. "You better be in and outta there, Rae. No standing around outside or nothing. In the station, right back in the car... Darry's gonna kick my ass.."