Chapter 1

Haiyang was having a bad day. The little village she was living in had lost much of their crop, so everybody was going hungry. Somehow, even though they were starving, the other kids had managed to make fun of her name. Haiyang Denu'er meant "Daughter of the Ocean." Both of Haiyang's parents had been firebenders, so the name didn't make sense.

Then after the name calling and all around torture, a messenger from the Fire Lord arrived, requiring all orphans over the age of ten to report to the capitol city. Haiyang jumped at the chance to get away, only to find it wasn't what she expected. The Lord wanted servants for his son's ship – his banished son's ship. Haiyang ran away, figuring that no one would miss her. Now she was wandering through the forest, trying not to die.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
"Stupid boys, messing up my life." I muttered. I dodged another branch, hopped over a bush and finally spotted a town. Deciding to head south, I bought a boat and a month's worth of food with the last of my money. Now, this boat wasn't some amazing ship, nor was it a little dingy. It was a little thing, with a sail, paddle and an engine. There was a cabin with enough space for everything I owned.

I looked around my little "home." I was surprised at myself. A little girl, barely past her tenth birthday and still mourning her parent's death, was setting out on her own.

I stashed my boat after deciding that I need to know how to do things. The people of the village watched me as I wandered the streets. Maybe they thought I was weird. Eventually, I ended up singing to make money.

I closed my eyes and began to sing a song my mother used to sing for me.

I'm here again
A thousand miles away from you
A broken mess
Just scattered pieces of who I am
I've tried so hard
Thought I could do this on my own
I've lost so much along the way
Then I see your face
I know I'm finally yours
I find everything
I thought I'd lost before
You call my name
I come to you in pieces
So you can make me whole
I've come undone
But you make sense of who I am
Like puzzle pieces in your arms
Then I see your face
I know I'm finally yours
I find every thing
I thought I'd lost before
You call my name
I come to you in pieces
So you can make me whole

I tried so hard
So hard
I tried so hard
Then I see your face
I know I'm finally yours
I find everything
I thought I'd lost before
You call my name
I come to you in pieces
So you can make me whole
So you can make me whole*

I opened my eyes when I heard clapping. There was a crowd, and in my basket, there was enough money to pay for those lessons and extra.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Haiyang spent two days in the village before setting out on her journey...
''''''
*The song Haiyang sings is Pieces, by Red.

This is a pretty short chapter, only 522 words, but I think it's okay for this story. Leave in the comments about how long you would like my chapters to be.

Also, first comment always gets a dedication!