Chapter 12

10 AM.

Wednesday.

Vanessa climbs into her car, setting the duffle bag down on the floor on the passenger side.

She takes a deep breath as Chris comes to stand at the rolled down window, "Ready?" He asks, Jon coming up to stand beside him.

"Yes. I think so. Thank you guys, for everything. I mean it." Vanessa says, and Chris gives her a smile.

"Anything for you guys." He replies, and nods. Him and Jon walk to the car parked beside her.

Vanessa pulls out of the driveway and begins down the street, waiting for Chris and Jon to catch up so they could follow her.

Vanessa's GPS tells her that the drive will take about 10 hours, so they'll get there about 8. Which is good. The email said 9 for the trade that is to happen- money for Lin's life.

Vanessa just hopes this will all work out, and reminds herself of the large pocket knife concealed in her shoe.

-~-

It's dark when they reach Allagash, Jon's in the trunk of Chris's car, and it's about 8:30 when they reach center of town.

There is not one person in sight. The town itself is dark, appearing completely vacant of any life. No stores are open (not that there are many stores anyway, only about 2). Vanessa's heart quickens as she pulls over to the side of the road, parking the car. No street lights are on except for the one above her car, which is flickering dimly.

She gets a text from Chris:

Parked behind one of the buildings near by. We can see you. We're close. Good luck.

Vanessa doesn't respond. She types 911 into the keypad and sets her phone down in the console, tapping her fingers on the steering wheel.

-~-

Chris watches intently, never taking his eyes off Vanessa's car.

8:45.

It should be happening soon. Chris is incredibly anxious, his leg shaking as he fights to stay calm and reminds himself that Jon is with him.

Chris jumps at the sound of a tap against his window. He turns his head and is met with the barrel of a gun. His stomach drops.

"Get out of the car." A voice demands, and Chris is frozen in place. Suddenly the door is flung open and Chris is violently pulled out, thrown onto the gravel.

"Is there anyone else with you?" The man asks quietly, and when Chris only stares up at him, unable to speak from pure shock, the man kicks him in the stomach.

"Are you fucking deaf Chris Jackson? Ross, check the backseat." Chris groans from the pain and looks up at the dark silhouette standing above him.

"Who are you?" Chris asks, his voice shaking slightly as he stares at the gun pointed at his head.

"All clear, James. It is just him." Another voice says, probably Ross.

"We're the guys you're here for. We had a feeling Vanessa would bring someone. Shame it has to be you." James says, and pulls the trigger twice- shooting once in the chest and once in the throat.