"Do you need help?"

The bell rang. You were walking next to Nancy and Barb. Nancy was still studying. You knew why it was so important for her to succeed but you never quite understood that. You studied too every once in a while but other than that you were pretty relaxed when it came to school. Partly because you didn't worry so much anymore and partly because you gave up good grades a long time ago. You never really believed in yourself and hope would just lead to disappointment.

Barb was asking Nancy yet another question to test her as Steve and his friends came by and took her book.
"I think you studied enough Nance", Steve said, looking at the notes that Nancy had written down on a piece of paper.
"I'm telling you, you know, you got this. Don't worry.  Now, on to more important matters. My dad has left town on a conference and my mom's gone with him, cause you know, she doesn't trust him."
"Good call" said Tommy laughing.
"So are you in?" Steve asked, smirking down at Nancy.
"In for what?" Nancy asked and you couldn't help but shake your head at her innocence. Not that you had ever been to a party but it was obvious to you what Steve was talking about.
"No parents? Big house?" Carol said.
"A party? It's Tuesday."
Nancy sounded pretty confused.
"It's Tuesday. Oh my God!" Tommy mocked her, laughing.
"It will be low key. It will be just us. What do you say? Are you in or are you out?" Steve asked, hands on his hips.
Just as Nancy wanted to answer Carol interrupted her.
"Oh God. Look."
Everyone turned around. It was Jonathan Byers. He was hanging up missing posters for his brother Will.
"Oh God, that's depressing."
"Should we say something?" Nancy asked.
"I don't think he speaks"
"How much do you want to bet he killed him?" Tommy said.
"Shut up." You said, glaring at him.

Nancy started walking towards Jonathan and Barb looked at you, telling you to go too.
Both of you made your way over to him.
"Hey" Nancy said and Jonathan looked at her in surprise.
"We just...we wanted to say...we're sorry about everything. Everyone's thinking about you. It sucks."
Jonathan nodded.
"Yeah" he said, keeping his head low.
The school bell rang and Nancy smiled apologetic.
"I have to go. Chemistry test."
"Good luck" Jonathan said smiling.
Nancy walked away, leaving you alone with Jonathan.
"Will's a smart kid. I'm sure he's fine. I mean, I know him pretty well because of Dustin and he...he's a good kid. I hope you'll find him soon." You said, smiling softly at him.
"Thank you, I'll see if he's at my dad's house next."
"If you need help searching for him just call me, okay?"
"I will." Jonathan nodded and smiled. You smiled back once again and turned around.

You began walking towards your classroom, suddenly you stopped. You knew Jonathan's father. Your families were pretty close to each other when you were a child and you knew Jonathan never got along with Lonnie. You turned around. He was still looking at you. Your heart almost exploded right then.
"Actually, screw that test. Do you want me to go with you?" You asked, surprisingly confident.
"Yeah, that'd be nice."
Jonathan's voice was shaking slightly and so quiet, you barely understood him. You walked over to him and both of you made your way towards the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry for taking so long to update. I'm pretty stressed atm. I'll try to update again today. I hope you are enjoying the story so far. I know Jonathan wasn't in it that often but the next chapter will be all about him.

On another note, the reader in this story is actually quite self conscious. I don't know if that applies to you but you should never lose hope or give yourself up. You can do anything you want to 💕