Unexpected Visitor

After sitting around the motel room for a couple of hours,  I hear a knock on the wooden door. "Housekeeping!"

I get up and walk to the door. Opening it, I'm greeted by the girl I met at the party. "Claire?"

"Serena!" She smiles widely. "I didn't expect to see you here!"

"Neither did I..." I give an awkward laugh. "You work here?"

"Yep! I clean all the rooms and collect their trash. Speaking of which, got anything for me to take?" She drops the garbage bag that was in her hand.

"Nope, not yet." I smile.

"Great! Care if I hang out for a bit..? This is the last room to clean on the list." She takes off her gloves and sets them gently on the bag.

"Come on in." I gently smile and stand back for her to enter.

"So.. Where's Lillian?" She glances around.

"Ah.. My friend is watching her for the night. She'd be here but I want her to be safe." I nod.

"Safe? What's happening?" She looks shocked.

"O-Oh. I worded it wrong." Realizing I had said too much, I make up for it. "I mean.. I want her to have fun. I said safe because I don't like the people living in motels usually. Never know what cooks live in these places." I give an awkward chuckle.

"I see." She looks unconvinced, but thankfully drops the topic.

"So how have you been? It's been a couple of weeks since we last talked, and met at the party." She backs up and sits down on the edge of one of the two beds in the room.

"Pretty good!" I lie. "I've been, uh, taking Lillian to the mall a lot."

I really am only hiding this situation from her because it's none of her business. She's not a close friend. I'd like to tell her, but I don't know. She seems weird. "Oh that's cool!" She says, interrupting my breif thoughts.

"So.. Did you move in here?" She asks without hesitation.

"Not really.." I sit down on the other bed, facing her.

"Oh, well I hope you like the time you stay here for anyways." She grins.

"Thanks! How long have you worked here for?" I ask in reply.

"About a year." She says, before continuing. "They hired me right after I was fired from my last job."

"Oh, what was it?" I say, realizing I may have struck a nerve as her face went dull. "If you don't... mind me asking, that is."

"N-No it's fine. My previous job was, uh.. I worked as a bartender. But really, I got fired because my new boyfriend blabbed to them about my old drug habits and they fired me then and there. But it's nothin'." She looks at her feet, ashamed.

"Ah. Atleast, like you said, they're old. And the plus side is, you got this new job. Your boyfriend seems like a real jerk to tell your job about illegal things you don't even do anymore." I hear her sigh.

"Yeah. Love him though!" She giggles.

"What bar did you work at? I ask, curious.

"It was just a little pub about a mile from here. It was great and all bu-" Before she could finish, she was interrupted by her phone ringing in her pocket. "Care if I take this?"

"Go on ahead." I stand up and walk to another direction to make us something to drink while she takes her call.

"What??" I hear her say in a harsh, but quiet tone.

Not hearing who it is, I continue to pour my tea. "I told you NOT to call me until 10!" She says angrily and then again quietly..

After a moment, she whispers. "Yes, now stop calling me. I'm busy." She hangs up.

I bring her a glass of tea. "Tea?" I offer the cup.

"Sure, thanks..." She accepts kindly and sips it. "I'm sorry about that. My mum is constantly worryin' about me when there's nothing to be worryin' about!" She smiles.

"I never realized it before... But where's your accent from?" I ask, in a quiet tone.

"Ah, you noticed! I spent 5 years in Britain, and 3 in Florida." She sighs. "I gained their accents and rarely do people notice it." She grins.

Then, I hear her phone beep. "Ugh!" She quickly gets frustrated. "Sorry, hold on." I stay quiet as she picks up her phone and stands up. "I need to go..."

"Oh." I let out. "Okay. It was nice talking to you again." She smiles.

"You, aswell. Could I have your number so we can stay in contact?" She turns her phone on and hands it to me.

"Sure!" I enter my contact information in and she smiles.

"Alright. I'll contact you tomorrow or so. Goodnight!" She smiles and opens the door. I wave, and she shuts the door. Moments after she shuts it, all I hear are her footprints running away quickly. But I decide to ignore it.