Desperation-Chapter 39

-Dick's POV-

When Lexi dashed from the building, I knew exactly where she had gone. "After her!" I ordered, banging on the elevator doors in frustration. When they finally re-opened, she was long gone. I moved to the exit, but Batman caught me. 

"Where are you going?" he demanded. 

"I'm going wherever she is,"  I snapped. "Now let go of me. Another second and she might be dead." He searched my face for a moment then, seemingly satisfied, released his hold on my arm. 

"Fine," Bruce stated hesitantly. "Take a party. Get her, and get out. Fight to protect yourselves, but don't engage him. You're no good to her with your head on a pike." Nodding, I wasted no time pulling out my communicator and sending out orders. 

"Robin, I need you to meet me at Central Park immediately. Bring as many of our friends as you can spare." 

"I'm on my way," he panted. "Artemis, duck!" A loud explosion sounded, the shock-waves felt even over the phone. There was shouting in the background for a bit, then Robin came back on, sounding breathless. "Alright. I've got Aqualad and Artemis in the Batplane right now. We aren't to far outside the city. We should be there in five minutes." 

"Meet me at the front gate," I ordered, jogging over to an unoccupied police car whose owner had stupidly left the keys in the ignition. Not bothering to ask permission, I started the vehicle up and sped away to my probable death. When I arrived at the scene, Robin and the rest were just hopping out of the Batplane onto solid ground.

"Alright, we're here, Dick. What do you want." Artemis asked in a deadpan tone, obviously still upset with me. I hadn't had the time to tell her the truth about what had happened. 

"Artemis, we worked things out. You don't know the full story. Lexi and I are good again. But none of that will matter unless you get your head out of your ass and work with me. She's in there right now," I stated, pointing to the once beautiful park. "And there's no telling how long she can hold her own against those beasts." 

"Wait," Robin cut in. "Let me get this straight. You let her go in there alone? We've been fighting those monsters for the past hour, and us three, along with Superman  could hardly take two of them. What the hell is wrong with you!?" 

"What, you think that I willingly sent my girlfriend in there? Fuck you!" I seethed, ready to punch him in the face. 

"This is all your fault," Aqualad cut in. 

"My fault?!" 

"We wouldn't have this problem if you had just given her up to me in the first place!" 

"Oh, so you knew this would happen?" I asked, laughing inhumorously. 

"I didn't know what would happen," he snapped. "Which is why she should have left with me while she still could!"

"All these years, and you still want her? Ever since we added her to the team, you've been in love with her, haven't you? Not that I blame you, she's quite a catch. But she's mine. She doesn't want you. She never wanted you."

"She might have," he spat. "But I never got the chance." 

"Oh for heavens sake," Artemis muttered, standing between us before the fists started flying. "Shut up! None of this is going to help her. It's pointless, and stupid. Now all of you, swallow your stupid man-pride, and lets get on with the rescue." 

"She's right," I sighed, starting towards the gate. "We're wasting time." And with that, we all disappeared into the park. 

----------------------------------------

I know! I'm sorry! If any of you want to punch me, I totally understand. :( It's short, but I'm writing another chapter that should be up before midnight. I'm so so soooo sorry. I love you all so much for standing by me.

COMMENT AND VOTE!