It was Too Good to be True

I trudged through the hallway feeling empty. I just don't feel normal without Maddy. It's been a month. A month of total ignorance from her. Why? Was this whole situation that bad? I didn't think so. I had a perfectly, understandable reason not to tell her! Why is she being so stubborn? Like, I get it; it's Justin Bieber, but STILL! It doesn't give her a right to be angry with me. She should know that if it would've been up to me, I would've called her first thing that morning after he moved in. How can she not comprehend? I need her in my life. It's been weeks! WEEKS! It's torture. She pretends as if I don't even exist. I've tried to talk to her in the hallways, lunch, class, nothing! It's as if I'm not even there. When I sit with her at lunch she stays there, ignoring me the whole entire time. That's what hurts the most; the fact that she isn't talking to me. The fact that she isn't arguing back with me; it's just silence, pure silence. The fact that she can just ignore me like if it's ordinary for us to go days without talking. Hey listen, if we weren't so close, then I'd understand how she could ignore me like that, but we talk every minute of every day. How is this so easy for her? I'm starting to think we won't ever be friends again. I don't want that, but how am I supposed to try and change that if she won't even so much as acknowledge my presence. My heart aches night and day. It's not easy to just lose your best friend and have her treat you like nothing. As if I mean nothing to her, that's impossible! If I don't mean anything to her, then I'm really bad at reading people. We've had fights before, but never has it lasted this long. It's lasted for three days, the longest. I'm going crazy! It doesn’t make sense and she’s overreacting. Sure, Maddy’s dramatic, but not this overly dramatic. I’ve never seen her so mad except when Angelina made a comment about Marcus in 8th grade regarding how good he looked playing basketball. Ooh boy did Maddy blow a fuse when that happened. I just realized something, the only other time Maddy has got like this was with Angelina…I AM NOT AS BAD AS HER! NO, NO, NO! I will never be as bad as her, although I’m kind of closer to her now, but still! NEVER. I need to find Maddy and fix this problem before she goes and talks shit about me like we used to do with Angelina. I don’t do it anymore, I don’t know about her. No, what am I thinking? Maddy would never talk behind my back right? I raced through the crowd, it was lunchtime. I quickly bought a water bottle (not like I was planning on eating anyways) and speed-walked toward our usual table where she was quietly sitting.

“Maddy!” I astonished. She jumped from the abrupt sound as I slammed my water bottle down on the picnic table and sat down. Just as soon as she looked up, she looked back down.

“Okay listen, I seriously don’t know what to do anymore. I try talking to you and you ignore. I try blocking you and you ignore. I try calling, guess what? Ignore. I go over and your parents tell me your sick and I know that trick because you used to use it on Angelina all the time. I think I have tried every possible thing I can to get an inch of your attention, but no you are just way too stubborn. How much longer are you going to keep this up? It’s been a month; don’t you think that’s more than enough time for you to ‘cool off’? I do. Actually, I think you should’ve forgiven me the moment I walked into your house and spilled my guts out to you. I’ve already explained myself enough times for you to forgive me, not like I needed to because this is ridiculous. It wasn’t my secret, okay? If it would’ve been my secret then I would’ve told you right after it happened! Okay? And I’m not going to apologize for being loyal to Justin and his mom. I won’t. I don’t know about you, but I think this is the most stupid topic to lose our whole friendship over. I think this is retarded and I honestly don’t understand why you’re still mad at me. At first, I thought maybe…there was something going on with you, but now I realize you’re just being stubborn. I miss you. Can you please talk to me now?” I finished. Wow, I was out of breath. She moved her macaroni around with her fork which meant she had been listening the whole time. I waited a few more seconds. She stood up without her tray and came over and hugged me. My heart jumped up and down, finally. I hugged her back.