Chapter Six

Chardé

That got his attention.

"What do you mean, if I ever saw him again?" He straightened up against the headboard and glared down at me.

Not being able to take his intense stare, I looked away, "I mean, if he was still alive and he popped up on your doorstep saying he never left. Would you be mad? Happy? Sad? Surprised?"

He shrugged, "I'd be happy; hurt I guess. Maybe a little mad, it depends on why he actually did it. Lied and faked his death? He could have at least told me. I thought we were closer than that."

There he goes, doing that thing where he avoids making eye contact with me again. I guess he did it when he got mad, but it was starting to get on my nerves.

Changing the subject, "You ready for this party tonight?"

"That black and white thing Chels was talking about last night? Sounds fancy," he chuckled.

"Well, it's a hotel opening so it's gotta be special," I smiled back.

"The staff here is amazing though. They actually went out in the snow last night and bought all the guy's suits. Bryan knows how to pick his staff."

We spent hours just laying there and catching up on things. Laughing, arguing, and just really talking about anything we could think of.

"I was thinking about moving to LA," he said after we had sobered up from another session of laughter.

"What? Why would you do that?" I frowned and sat up to get a better look at him. The hand he had been using to finger my hair, dropped to his side.

"I just want a change of scenery, especially after Steph leaves. Plus, they've already been talking about trading me."

"Why would they trade you?"

He shrugged, "Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm not going to fight it if they do. I'll be closer to you anyway."

He pulled me closer into his chest as I blushed, also realizing that he was still in just a towel and I hadn't taken a shower yet.

"What time is it?"

"4:33," he replied, causing me to hop up.

"The party starts at eight, we need to start getting ready," I frantically scrambled around to get up our dirty plates and turn off the tv, all while Mal moved to the edge of the bed and chuckled.

"You really need three hours to get ready?"

I stopped and stared back at him as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, "Is that a real question?"

"I don't know what a fake one is," he sarcastically shrugged.

"Screw you." I replied while heading towards the door.

"Again? You haven't even washed off the last time."

I ignored him as I dropped the dishes off in the kitchen and jogged upstairs to my room. I pulled out the white dress that I'd been eyeing for this party ever since I got home yesterday. I had never worn it, but for some reason I brought it on this trip.

"Do I really want to wear a short dress when it's like two degrees outside?" I shrugged and laid it on the bed anyway, before pairing it with white stilettos and matching jewelry.

Just as I was preparing to get into the shower, my phone rung and my mom's picture popped up on the screen.

"Yes mom," I groaned.