Leona's World

Fifteen-year-old Leona Keye was dreaming. I sauntered down the hall, not caring who saw me. I had perfect teeth, perfect chestnut hair that never tangled, and almond shaped eyes the color of milk chocolate. Oh, and one more thing. I had a boyfriend. Then I slipped on a banana peel.

I woke up, banging my head against the headboard.

"Ow!" I muttered.

"Waz going on?"  My eight year old sister, Sara, spoke from the other side of the room, still half asleep.

"Nothing, just go back to bed." I murmured, walking past her sleeping form to check the clock downstairs. Only 5:27. 

To early to take a shower,  I thought.

I walked into the bathroom, looking at my reflection, wishing my dream self was the real me. Except the whole boyfriend part. I don't want to date, ever since Kate and Oliver, my best friends since second grade, started dating. That was just too weird for words.

I glanced over at her hairbrush, not sure if I should begin attacking I hair or not.

Just do it, you wimp! I thought.

I sighed as I picked up the brush and started running it through my long dark brown hair. "Ow,ow,ow,ow,ow!" I hissed between my teeth.

"Need some help?" A voice said behind me.

I spun around. " Kate, you scared the crap out of me! How did you even get in here? It's 5:30!"

"Your mom let me in, she said you could ride with me and Oliver to school."

" Nice idea, but I heard you made out with Oliver in a closet. At school! Don't blame me that I want to be in a car alone with tinted windows with you two."

" What if I sat in the backseat with you?"

"I'm listening."

" We'll get to school early, and you can get to your locker before the first period stampede begins."

"Deal. I'll meet you out front." 

I let Kate brush my hair, then I run back to my room where Sara is still sleeping. I throw on a red tank top and jeans and run again to the bathroom where I brush my teeth while simultaneously putting mascara on the lashes framing my burnt-choclolate eyes.

I hop down the stairs and step into my old sneakers that have seen one camping trip too many.  Oliver and Kate are already in the car. As promised, Kate's in the backseat. I slide next to Kate and buckle up.

"Ready to go?" Oliver asks, his blue eyes glinting.

"As i'll ever be," I reply half-heartedly.

I hold on to my seat as the car swerves away from the curb.