Part Three: Just a kiss.

Lisa couldn’t move and the look on all her friends’ faces told her she wasn’t imagining it this time. Ellie grabbed Allie’s arm and the twins managed to step towards Lisa, grabbing her arm to pull her to them. Matilda joined them and they all moved to the opposite corner, the candles all went out in one go as if controlled by a switch and now in total darkness they were at his mercy.

Tasan watched them for a moment, huddling together like sheep set for slaughter. Their fear was an enticing perfume, and he was hungry for a taste. He didn’t bother with the theatrics of his arrival; in reality he probably didn’t have the strength for it right now. It had been to long since he was here, centuries and how things had changed.

In the week since he was summoned, he had learnt a lot on how things worked now. Lisa’s mind had been easy to enter, much easier than the last witch who had released him from the prison of the other world. He was also confused at how the virgin human girl had even managed to find the book that tormented him, let alone summon and release him.

“Who is there?” Matilda boldly stepped in front of her friends. It was all too easy, these were practically children and there would be no resistance here. It was only due to the fact they had all been behind releasing him; he decided to play a game of his own.

“Who do you want me to be?”

“A spirit guide?” Matilda answered weakly. Their breathing was unsteady and one of them was crying, amusing him further.

“Interesting. It’s a good thing I am a spirit guide then.”

The whoosh of her breath being released made him smirk, so naïve. Spying the book on the floor he kept himself unseen and collected it, determined to be free of it once and for all.

It wasn’t theirs, the power that protected it had no connection to the humans here and this only delighted him further. Without it, the witch would be defenseless and her death would help rebuild him much quicker than any of those four.

“There is no need to fear me.”

“Show yourself to us then.” Matilda seemed to be the only one able to speak, and the prospect seeing a ghost was as scary as it was exciting. Sure enough the candles all lit up and yet there was no one in the room with them.

“Where did he go?” Ellie asked fearfully.

Lisa’s mind cleared, no longer stuck in time and went to get the book. She remembered it all now; he had been in there.

“Where did the book go?”

“It’s…” Matilda looked around, leaving the group she moved around her living room. “It’s gone?”

“Um, guys.” Allie whispered and as they all looked to her, she pointed at the board.

‘s-t-o-p-t-h-e-d-e-m-o-n’

No one touched it, the disc staying on the N.

“Stop the demon? What demon?” Ellie screamed at the board.

‘Goodbye.’

“This is too fucking weird.” Matilda quickly packed the board away, the banging gate making them huddle back together.

“It wasn’t a spirit guide, he is a demon.” Lisa spoke first and they all had a feeling she was right.

“How do you know?” Allie asked, her lip trembling as she struggled to keep control.

“I read it out, the man in my dreams was the one from the book and now we set him free.” She had done what he asked her to do; she only realized it too late.