Part Five: Just a taste

Lisa literally dragged Matilda into the car. Getting her out the bed had been an effort in itself too, all because Tasan had to move Matilda between their homes in the blink of an eye. It took away any chance of feeling safe with the demon on the loose and Matilda had decided hiding under the covers was more appealing than leaving the house. Lisa disagreed.

“I don't think this will work.” It wasn't just moving that Matilda refused to do, but also positive thinking.

“Well maybe they will be more helpful than the internet!” Lisa snapped, and both girls squealed as an unnatural pink lightning bolt sizzled down beside them. “Besides, we might be safe there?”

“Doubt it.” Matilda mumbled, pulling the blanket tighter around her, and getting to the church car park it looked deserted.

They banged on the old wooden doors and with no answer ran around the side. Relief was mutual as they spied the light coming from the small cottage at the side of the main building.

“Father, please let us in!” Matilda cried and sure enough as the rain returned the door opened and the old priest invited them in.

“Good afternoon ladies, what brings you to my door in this horrible weather?” He motioned for them to sit in front of his desk and took his place opposite them, waiting for an answer.

“There is a demon after us!” Matilda blurted out before falling against Lisa and her sobbing started all over again. Lisa tried to fight the urge to give in to her fears, but one of them had to stay strong.

Clearly it wasn’t going to be Matilda.

“A demon? What makes you think that?” The priest was more amused than anything. While he was a man of god, he didn't truly believe in such nonsense.

“We summoned him. I don't know how or what his purpose is, but he  exists. We're not making this up!” Lisa stressed, seeing the amusement on the old man's face.

“Summoned? Child, what are you on about?” In his mind, teens these days did all sorts of hocus pocus. Their lack of respect for religion made it easy for them to think things that were not true.

“There was a book, we read out some weird words and…” Lisa hesitated, should she tell him about her dreams?

“And?”

“And things started happening. We had a séance and now he's here. He told me he was part incubus and a descendant of Hades.” Lisa confessed.

“Do you often partake in these séances?” The priest asked bluntly, deciding it could be drug or alcohol related due to their dishevelled appearance. The Laucher Twins had been on about something similar in confession this morning and the fact both girls had turned up to Sunday morning mass was odd in itself. Maybe they had been at the same party?

“No sir, we were just curious. We've never done anything like this before!”

Sighing, the old man thought over all the things he thought wrong with today's youth and looking at Matilda, he couldn’t deny how worried she was. They really believed their story.

“Tell you what, go home. Get some sleep and if these things keep happening, come back tomorrow and I'll discuss with my colleagues what we can do for you.”

“He'll kill us if we go back. You can't send us away!” Matilda argued and Lisa only nodded. The prospect of going home made her throat felt like it was constricting and her fear was suffocating to the point she was struggling to hide it externally.

“Please child, God watches over us all. You are never alone. Have faith and the demon will not do you any harm.” The priest tried to sooth, and took out a Bible from his bottom draw. “Pray. God is always with you.”