Part Six: Just a reminder.

Matilda stood outside Lisa’s house, pounding on the door. She hadn’t seen or heard from her since Sunday afternoon and guilt had made her come over. Lisa had been right, they should’ve stuck together and the lack of response made her worry. It didn’t help the twins had gone MIA and Lisa also didn’t turn up for her shift at the Coffee Pot this morning.

Shifting through the keys on her key ring, she found the one she needed and went in. The house was quiet, and the fears she had managed to start overcoming with her new found religious outlook reappeared. She was new to this praying thing, fiddling with the wooden cross around her neck that she had once thought to be more for fashion than a religious one.

“God, it’s me again. Please let Lisa be alright.” Matilda whispered before swallowing nervously. The light from the afternoon sun didn’t seem to penetrate through the windows and with each light switch she passed, she made sure to turn it on. “I am never alone.”

“Do you really think he cares about you?” Spinning around Matilda found Tasan standing in the centre of the corridor that led to Lisa’s room.

“Back demon!” Matilda yelled, holding up the cross he disappeared and all the lights turned off instantly. With shaking hands she continued to fiddle with the cross and the more she looked it around,  the shadows all appeared to move up and down the wall like a carousel.

“Oh dear god..” She whispered, closing her eyes tightly her newly discovered prayers began to run through her mind. It was all an illusion, for as long as she had faith she could not fall for the demons trickery.

“You shouldn’t take the Lords name in vain.” Tasan was back beside her and Matilda screamed as he grabbed her by the shoulders. His hands appeared like claws, digging into the fabric of her jacket as he spun her around to face him. The first thing she noticed was the red of his eyes until he opened his mouth to reveal the pointy edges of his fangs. He was terrifying, yet her mind began to get hazy. It wasn’t just his appearance that was attractive, but the aura that covered him and tried to lure her in.

Matilda tried to focus on her prayers, unable to look away from those dagger like teeth that  managed to catch what light was in the room. They glistened with saliva, the point so sharp she wondered how he didn’t cut his lip and as he began to lower them towards her, Matilda found the ability to scream. The shrill sound startled Tasan and pulling herself away from his grip, she turned to run.

“LISA!” Matilda called, forgetting her fears as guilt washed over her.

She had to find her friend.

Tasan didn’t stop her as she moved towards Lisa’s room, the sound of her cries amusing him more than anything. Enjoying the chase he let her enter the room, not hurrying his own efforts to get down there.

Lisa was still naked on the bed, her lips were cracked and dry while her breathing was laboured. Matilda instantly went to her side, cringing at how cold her skin was. Carefully she moved her so she was sitting up and with no strength, Lisa’s head rolled to the side and fell backwards. The limp figure was difficult to move and unless Matilda had help, she wasn’t going to be able to get her out of this house.

“Shall I give you a moment?”

Tasan appeared on the opposite side of the bed, watching amused as Matilda held her friend. Gently putting Lisa down, Matilda grabbed her cross glaring at the demon. Right now it was the only weapon she had.

“The power of Christ commands you!”

“Really? Is that the best you can do?” Tasan smirked, waving his hand slightly the cross burst into flames and Matilda ripped it from her neck. Instinctively she threw it onto the carpet, ready to stomp it out and yet the flames didn’t burn anything other than the cross.